Even on the same team, nobody can agree on goaltender-interference calls

SHARE Even on the same team, nobody can agree on goaltender-interference calls

David Kampf’s first-period celebration was short-lived, as his goal was overturned because of goaltender interference by Matthew Highmore (right). (AP Photo)

LOS ANGELES — On the ice, captain Jonathan Toews argued fervently that David Kampf’s goal late in the first period Saturday should stand. On the bench, coach Joel Quenneville figured it would — and should — be overturned.

Because nobody in hockey really knows what the heck constitutes goaltender interference anymore.

‘‘I’m not going to say anything in case I was saying something controversial,’’ Toews said after the Blackhawks’ 5-3 victory Saturday against the Kings. ‘‘But it’s funny. I was arguing our cause with the officials, and their guys are yelling in, questioning how I could even talk about that goal. . . . It’s [the officials’] discretion. You never really know what’s going to happen there.’’

Kampf’s goal indeed was overturned after the Kings challenged for goaltender interference. Hawks rookie Matthew Highmore had made contact with goalie Jonathan Quick as he gloved a blooper of a shot from Patrick Sharp. Quick then dropped the puck between his feet, and Kampf knocked it in for what appeared to be a 2-0 Hawks lead.

RELATED STORIES Blackhawks score four goals in final 10 minutes for stunning victory Eddie Olczyk on cancer battle: ‘I’m way tougher than I ever thought I was’

Toews argued the contact came well before Quick let go of the puck.

‘‘I just thought that if there was any interference, it had nothing to do with when the puck was on the ice,’’ Toews said. ‘‘The goaltender drops it.’’

Goalie interference has been a prickly issue since replays were instituted in the 2015-16 season. Commissioner Gary Bettman said at the All-Star Game in January that officials were overthinking it and looking for reasons to overturn goals. A memo was sent to officials, telling them to simplify the process.

But it hasn’t helped, with Oilers goalie Cam Talbot going on a profanity-laced tirade Feb. 17 after a replay went against him.

Still, another man known to dabble in profanity when discussing officiating didn’t think this one was so bad.

‘‘I didn’t think that was going to stand,’’ Quenneville said. ‘‘I think that was the right call, from what I saw.’’

Anisimov heating up

Artem Anisimov got the Hawks’ comeback rolling with a power-play goal midway through the third period. He has scored in five of the last seven games. He’s finally feeling 100 percent after missing 10 games with an upper-body injury, then scoring only once in his first 12 games back.

‘‘I feel pretty good lately,’’ he said. ‘‘My injury gets better each day. I work every day to prevent that stuff from happening again.’’

Welcome, Matt

Highmore’s second NHL game was a lot more enjoyable than his first, a 7-2 clunker Thursday against the Sharks.

His family is back in Nova Scotia, which is off the east coast of Maine, so the Hawks’ West Coast trip didn’t come at the best time. They’re planning to watch him in person for the first time in the NHL when the Hawks get back to Chicago.

In the meantime, the Hawks have helped him feel at home on the road.

‘‘The guys have been great,’’ Highmore said. ‘‘I can’t thank them enough. It is a little bit nerve-wracking coming into the league, and they’ve done a great job of welcoming me.’’

Follow me on Twitter @MarkLazerus.

Email: mlazerus@suntimes.com

The Latest
Five people were in critical condition Saturday. It wasn’t clear if a tornado actually touched down in the northern Illinois city of roughly 25,000, but the brutal aftermath of the storm was unquestionable.
The Illinois Deer Classic is part of a history of this state’s deer shows that spans more than 30 years; opening day Friday at the Peoria Civic Center added an wild chapter to that history and gave opportunity to sample some of the innovations in the outdoors.
Officers received a report of shots fired in the 3900 block of West Flournoy Street about 1:10 a.m.
The girl was inside a residence in the 12600 block of South Lowe Avenue when she heard gunshots coming from the street.
The male was attacked in the 2100 block of West Randolph Street, police said.