Dear Abby: My moods swing so dramatically, it’s scary

SHARE Dear Abby: My moods swing so dramatically, it’s scary

DEAR ABBY: I read your letters every chance I get. They remind me that I’m not the only one with problems, but sometimes I just feel so empty.

I have random bouts where anything can send me into a crying jag and all I want to do is hide and go to sleep. I can be watching a funny TV show and out of nowhere feel like I need to run away and cry.

It scares me that my moods can swing so drastically. I can also become angry every now and then when it’s unprovoked.

I don’t know what to do. My boyfriend tries to help, but he’s at a loss as well. My medical insurance doesn’t cover psychological help. Can you give me any advice? — CRYING MYSELF TO SLEEP

DEAR CRYING: Check again with your insurance carrier, because your primary care provider may be able to order psychological services for you.

If, however, that’s not possible, your county department of mental health may be able to help you find counseling on a sliding financial scale. Or, contact a university with a medical school, if one is close by. Ask to speak to the Department of Psychiatry and inquire if someone on the staff deals with the problems you’re experiencing.

If you live in a town with a college, find out if it has a psychology department and a graduate school. If so, does that graduate school have a psychology program and clinic that charges on a sliding scale and is the clinic staffed with graduate students? If not, inquire if someone on the staff of the department sees people privately and get the phone number.

Individuals can also get referrals from mental health organizations. The largest credentialed ones are the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy and the National Association of Social Workers. All of these organizations have professional standards and are legitimate resources.

I know this is a longer response than you may have expected, but I hope it helps you find what you need because it’s time to enlist professional help in understanding your mood swings.

DEAR ABBY: My husband and I had a disagreement about a recent birthday party we gave for our daughter. I was making party favors and putting the date of the party on them instead of our daughter’s birthday on them. He said it should be the date of her birthday instead of the date of the party.

What is the correct way it should be done — put the date of the party, which is on a different date than her birthday, or put her birthdate on them? — BELINDA IN NEW JERSEY

DEAR BELINDA: The date of the party should go on the invitations. The age the child has attained should go on the party favors, table decorations and, of course, the birthday cake.

Dear Abby is written by Abigail Van Buren, also known as Jeanne Phillips, and was founded by her mother, Pauline Phillips. Contact Dear Abby at or P.O. Box 69440, Los Angeles, CA 90069.

For everything you need to know about wedding planning, order “How to Have a Lovely Wedding.” Send your name and mailing address, plus check or money order for $7 (U.S. funds), to: Dear Abby, Wedding Booklet, P.O. Box 447, Mount Morris, IL 61054-0447. (Shipping and handling are included in the price.)

The Latest
Notes: Cody Bellinger hit on the field Tuesday, taking a step in his injury rehab.
Tuesday’s storms came more than a week after a record 27 tornadoes battered the Chicago area July 15.
Jonathan Byars, 26, carried out six robberies and two attempted robberies in 2019 and 2020, according to the U.S. attorney’s office.
He is credited with helping develop the English take on urban, Chicago-style R&B that played an important role in the blues revival of the late 1960s.