Man, 30, dies after being shot, crashing car on Stevenson Expressway

Westbound lanes on Interstate 80 were closed Dec. 26, 2019, after a rollover crash involving a semitrailer carrying phosphoric acid near New Lenox.

Sun-Times file photo

Sun-Times File photo

A Chicago man died at a hospital Thursday after being shot and crashing his car on the Stevenson Expressway, authorities said.

Keyon P. Berry, 30, was driving a blue Mercedes Benz when he crashed head-on into a concrete median barrier about 11:50 a.m. in the outbound lanes of Interstate 55 near Kedzie Avenue, according to Illinois State Police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Chicago Fire Department paramedics responded and found Berry had been shot at least once, state police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Berry is believed to have entered the expressway about 11:45 a.m. via the California Avenue ramp. Anyone who saw his vehicle or the incident was asked to call investigators at (847) 294-4400, state police said.

All outbound lanes were initially closed while authorities investigated, but were reopened by 3:22 p.m., according to police and the Illinois Department of Transportation.

The Latest
Is there a way forward that doesn’t involve cutting both out of my life?
The company considered a move to an Austin warehouse but now has put that building on the market.
The research looked at pediatric gun injuries in Florida, Maryland, New York and Wisconsin. Most of the injuries were accidents.
Despite an ambitious plan by the city to eliminate all traffic deaths by next year, nearly as many people are dying on Chicago roads as when the goal was announced in 2017. The number of yearly injuries and crashes has actually increased since then.
Northwest side residents called the plan a misuse of the military and a waste of money. Chicago officials described President Donald Trump’s plan to deploy the National Guard as “unconstitutional.”