Cops: Former Orland Township employee stole nearly $60k in government funds

SHARE Cops: Former Orland Township employee stole nearly $60k in government funds
police_lights13_e1535622857805.png

Sun-Times file photo

A former Orland Township employee is facing felony charges after she allegedly stole nearly $60,000 in funds from the south suburban government.

Michelle L. Patras, 48, of Tinley Park, was charged with single counts of continuing a financial crimes enterprise and theft of government property exceeding $10,000, according to Orland Park police.

Michelle L. Patras | Orland Park police

Michelle L. Patras | Orland Park police

Last May, officials told officers that an internal investigation conducted by the township identified Patras as a suspect in the ongoing theft of funds, police said.

During their investigation, officers learned that township employees discovered that a check from the township’s general assistance fund was missing from internal logs, police said. The discovery prompted an internal investigation, which revealed that numerous unauthorized checks had been cashed along with unauthorized wire transfer payments affecting three township accounts — the general assistance, food pantry and general town funds.

Between September 2016 and the time she was fired, investigators found that Patras had conducted 66 fraudulent transactions that totaled $58,975.78, police said. She ultimately turned herself over to police on Monday.

Judge Peter A. Felice set her bail at $25,000 during a hearing Tuesday at the Bridgeview Courthouse, according to Cook County court records. She remained in custody and her next court date was scheduled for Oct. 22.

The Latest
The robberies allegedly happened in one hour Wednesday morning.
Considering where to go when Illinois’ waterfowl blind draws come at the end of the month after the Illinois DNR announced the schedule yesterday.
Johnson said Thursday he will remain as British prime minister while a leadership contest is held to choose his successor.
A judge last year declined a request from Hoover for a lower sentence under the First Step Act. But in doing so, the judge gave the Gangster Disciples founder room to try again.
A train conductor heading north spotted the 28-year-old woman in the 900 block of West Cornelia Avenue, police said. She had suffered burns on her chest and legs, apparently from the third rail.