2 teens shot to death near Sox-35th Red Line station during rush hour

SHARE 2 teens shot to death near Sox-35th Red Line station during rush hour

Two teenage boys were killed in a shooting Wednesday afternoon near the Sox-35th Street Red Line Station, according to police. | ABC7 Chicago

A fight outside an alternative high school ended with gunfire and two teenage boys dead at a bustling South Side intersection outside the Sox-35th Street CTA Red Line station during the Wednesday afternoon rush hour.

About 3 p.m., the boys got into an argument with another group of males near Youth Connection Charter School at 10 W. 35th St., Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said during a press conference near the shooting scene.

The boys ran west on 35th Street and the group chased them, with as many as three opening fire at the intersection of LaSalle — just steps outside the Red Line station, Johnson said.

Terry Wilson, 16, was shot in the face, chest and abdomen, and he died at Stroger Hospital, police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

Teandre C. Belcher died from unspecified gunshot wound at the University of Chicago Medical Center, authorities said.

Both boys lived in the nearby Wentworth Gardens neighborhood.

The shooters took off in a beige Ford Explorer last seen going north on LaSalle and then east on 31st Street, Johnson said.

At least one of the boys was thought to be a Youth Connection student.

The school’s director of operations referred questions to Chicago Public Schools officials, who declined to comment, citing student privacy laws.

The shooting happened in broad daylight on a busy street separating the Red Line and Metra stations, just down the street from the Illinois Institute of Technology campus and barely two blocks away from Chicago police headquarters.

“We have off-duty and on-duty police officers traveling this area all the time, constantly,” Johnson said.

Police had “a very good eyewitness” and “some very promising leads,” according to Johnson, who noted that detectives were reviewing numerous surveillance video feeds in the area.

The police investigation also snarled Wednesday evening traffic to nearby Guaranteed Rate Field, where the White Sox were set to play their final home game of the season.

No one was in custody late Wednesday as Area South detectives investigate. Anyone with information is asked to call 911 or submit anonymous tips online.

The Latest
The fire was upgraded to a three-alarm, level one hazmat fire, Chicago fire officials said.
Miller and Rep. Rodney Davis are facing off in a GOP primary battle where some $12 million in outside money is flooding the 15th congressional district.
Two armed males entered the bus in the 300 block of South Pulaski Road, walked to the back and began shooting at two people on board, Chicago police said.
State Sen. Darren Bailey had been seeking Trump’s endorsement for months. The former president finally delivered it Saturday, telling a crowd in western Illinois, “Darren is a fearless supporter of the Second Amendment and a tireless champion of religious liberty.”
So-called neonics add a much smaller amount of pesticides to the environment than widespread spraying, but they are absorbed by plants, which makes the entire plant deadly to some species.