Man facing murder charge in death of 4-year-old Waukegan girl

SHARE Man facing murder charge in death of 4-year-old Waukegan girl

Waukegan Police Department Facebook photo

A man accused of battering a 4-year-old girl in north suburban Waukegan has been indicted on a charge of first-degree murder following the girl’s death last year, according to authorities.

Johnathan Fair, 19, was initially charged with aggravated battery to a child after he brought the girl, identified as Skyler Mendez, to Vista Medical Center East last Dec. 13 and said she had suffered a head injury when she fell at their apartment, according to Waukegan police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Police said the girl’s mother was not home at the time the girl was hurt.

Johnathan Fair | Waukegan police

Johnathan Fair | Waukegan police

Mendez died four days later at Lurie Children’s Hospital from multiple injuries caused by child abuse and her death was ruled a homicide, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

On Tuesday, Fair was indicted on a charge of first-degree murder in the girl’s death, the Lake County state’s attorney’s office said.

Fair was ordered held on $5 million bail at his initial hearing in December, according to Lake County sheriff’s office records.

He was being held at the Lake County Jail in lieu of posting bond as of Friday night.

The Latest
Historically, democracy always has been sustained, and nurtured by rational deliberation. If our habits of communication don’t change, what happens to this great experiment we call the United States?
The man who just won reelection as Turkey’s president appeals heavily, like Trump, to rural, less educated and more religious voters, with a simplistic but incendiary message of national pride and traditional values.
Migrants follow news of tragedies, like the fatal fire in a Ciudad Juárez detention center, but they’re not deterred in their desire to reach the U.S., a Cornell University researcher writes.
Tracking the journey of Jerry Adelmann to lead Openlands for decades before retiring later this year.
Officers were dispatched to the scene around 8:20 p.m. Thursday after a ShotSpotter detector picked up gunfire as a group of people shot at another group in the 4200 block of South Wells Street, police said.