3-year-old daughter of ‘Hamilton’ star Miguel Cervantes passes away after battle with epilepsy
“She went peacefully in my arms, surrounded by love,” mom Kelly Cervantes tweeted about her daughter Adelaide.
The 3-year-old daughter of “Hamilton” Chicago star Miguel Cervantes has died after a long battle with epilepsy.
Adelaide Cervantes passed away in home hospice care Saturday morning, it was confirmed by her mom Kelly Cervantes via social media.
“She went peacefully in my arms, surrounded by love,” Kelly Cervantes tweeted Sunday.
The machines are off. Her bed is empty. The quiet is deafening. Adelaide left us early Saturday. She went peacefully in my arms, surrounded by love. Finally, she is free from pain + seizures but leaves our hearts shattered. We love you so much Adelaideybug and forever after 💔💜 pic.twitter.com/bf46YCODM7— Kelly Cervantes (@KellyGC411) October 13, 2019
A statement from Miguel Cervantes released Sunday read:“The Cervantes family is heartbroken to announce that their baby girl Adelaide Grace passed early Saturday morning. She was held in the loving arms of her family as she peacefully achieved the “calm” for which they’ve been searching for so long. They would like to extend their deepest, heartfelt gratitude to all who have reached out with words of support and prayer and will continue to feel all the love as they go through this difficult time. Details for a celebration of Adelaide’s life will be coming soon.”
In her Inchstones blog posts, Kelly Cervantes chronicled the life of Adelaide, who struggled with epilepsy since she was 9 months old and diagnosed with a severe and incurable form of epilepsy known as Infantile Spasms (IS).
“No child or family should have to go through this, but they do, and we are,” Kelly Cervantes wrote on her blog October 4. “That said, we feel so fortunate to be surrounded by such a compassionate community that has gone out of their way to let us know they are thinking of us as we journey down this hospice path.”
The couple, who are also parents to 7-year-old Jackson, has been very outspoken about epilepsy over the course of the past three years, most notably through CURE (Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy), which raises funds for research into a cure for the devastating illness.
On its Website Sunday, CURE posted a statement: “During this heartbreaking time, our thoughts are with the Cervantes family. We’ll continue to propel science forward in honor of Adelaide and all those who have lost the fight against epilepsy.”
“Living with epilepsy sucks,” Kelly told People magazine last year. “But maybe 10 or 20 years from now there won’t be another family like ours in the hospital with a doctor coming up to them saying, ‘Your child has epilepsy, and we’ll start throwing darts at a board to see what sticks.’ There’s only so much we can do for Adelaide on any given day. But there’s a lot we can do to help spread the word.”
On Monday, Miguel Cervantes tweeted his gratitude for the outpouring of support the family has received:
In 2017, Miguel, along with music composer Ira Antelis, released “’Til The Calm Comes,” a song for his little girl and his family, as way to help raise money for epilepsy research. Proceeds from sales of the song, which also features some of the “Hamilton” Chicago cast, go to CURE.