Classes were canceled at a Lake Zurich elementary school Monday after a fire broke out in a classroom.
The fire started about 5:30 a.m. at May Whitney Elementary School, 100 Church St. in Lake Zurich, according to the Lake Zurich Fire Department and a statement posted to the school’s website.
A maintenance staff worker discovered the fire in a classroom on the second floor and pulled a fire alarm, officials said. The staff member closed the door to the classroom, which prevented it from spreading further.
Firefighters managed to control the blaze within 20 minutes of their arrival, officials said.
No one was inside of the building at the time of the fire other than the custodial staff, officials said.
The classroom sustained “significant” damage, while the second floor suffered smoke and water damage, officials said.
School was canceled for the day due to smoke in the building and ongoing cleanup efforts, according to school officials. School staff should report to the Lake Zurich Community Unit School District 95 administration building.
Preliminary information indicates that the fire was caused by a malfunctioning fan motor, fire officials said.