A 100-year-old man was among two people taken to a hospital early Wednesday after fire tore through a house in Fernwood on the Far South Side.
Fire crews responded to the blaze about 2:30 a.m. in the 700 block of West 103rd Street, Chicago fire officials said. The flames burned most heavily on the second floor of the house, and were extinguished an hour later.
Four residents of the home escaped before firefighters arrived, according to Chicago police.
The homeowner told investigators the power on the main floor went out, and that she used an extension cord to power a refrigerator and then smelled smoke, police said.
A man, 100, and a woman, 67, were taken to Roseland Community Hospital for treatment, police said. Two other women from the home refused medical attention.
Police said the fire appears to be accidental.