Visitors to Chicago can expect to live in the lap of luxury — at least if they stay at three top-tier hotels in the city, according to a new report released Tuesday.
U.S. News & World Report has ranked The Peninsula Chicago (No. 2), 108 E. Superior St., and the Four Seasons Hotel Chicago (No. 5), 120 E. Delaware Place, in the top five of its new “Best Hotels in the USA” list. The Langham, Chicago, at 330 N. Wabash Ave., was ranked No. 7.
The list includes 15 luxury hotels, mostly in Hawaii, California and Florida. The three Chicago hotels are the only Midwest hotels to make the list. Four Seasons Resort Hualalai in Kailua Kona, Hawaii tops the list at No. 1. It boasts of island-themed spa treatments, three restaurants and seven pools, including one with live sea animals, according to the U.S. News & World Report.
The Peninsula doesn’t have great Manta rays swimming in its indoor pool, but many guests find the hotel notable for its “Midwestern charm,” the report says. Hotel guests also enjoy afternoon tea and Cantonese cuisine available at The Peninsula, which makes regular appearances on hotel ranking lists. The Peninsula is frequently ranked the best hotel in the state.
Four Seasons Hotel Chicago offers farm-to-table dishes from the Midwest — a favorite among its guests. The hotel also gets rave reviews for its rooms with views of Chicago’s skyline and lakefront, the report said.
The Langham is just off the Magnificent Mile, where the other two hotels are located. It receives high marks for its room amenities, which include rain showers, flat-screen TVs and views of the Chicago River.
The list comes after a groundbreaking year for Chicago tourism with a record 57.6 million visitors. Last year, the city was also was named the top destination for tourists by Conde Nast for the second straight year.
Here’s the complete list, which was compiled by taking into account awards and recognition received, class rating and guest ratings from reviewers on TripAdvisor:
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai in Kailua Kona, Hawaii
- The Peninsula Chicago
- Four Seasons Hotel at The Surf Club, Surfside, Florida
- Four Seasons Resort Lanai in Lanai City, Hawaii
- Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
- Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach in Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
- The Langham, Chicago
- Montage Kapalua Bay in Lahaina, Hawaii
- Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa in Rancho Santa Fe, California
- Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills
- The Peninsula Beverly Hills
- The Inn & Club at Harbour Town – The Sea Pines Resort in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
- Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea in Wailea, Hawaii
- Fairmont Grand Del Mar in San Diego, California
- Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC
In 2018, workers at 25 Chicago hotels made headlines when they went on strike for year-round health benefits — a point of huge contention, especially during the city’s offseason. None of the hotels in the U.S. News & World Report’s list were involved.