clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Reliever Carson Fulmer recalled for game, then sent back down by White Sox

Carson Fulmer was recalled by the Sox on Monday. | AP Photo/Matt York

The White Sox recalled right-hander Carson Fulmer from Class AAA Charlotte before their 5-1 loss Monday to the Rays, then sent him back after it.

In between, Fulmer pitched three innings of one-run ball. He was excellent for the first six outs and messy for the last three, but he went back feeling confident he’ll return.

‘‘We were extremely ecstatic about how he looked,’’ manager Rick Renteria said.

Outfielder Ryan Cordell had been optioned Sunday to Charlotte to create a spot for Fulmer. And while it’s not official, veteran right-hander Ervin Santana likely will be activated in that spot Tuesday to face the Rays.

Fulmer, the Sox’ first-round pick in 2015, had a hefty 6.68 ERA in 24 big-league appearances before Monday. He entered the game in relief of left-hander Carlos Rodon with two outs in the fifth and the Sox trailing 4-0 and allowed a run and three hits in three innings. He struck out three and walked two.

‘‘Bullpen needed some help, and I definitely wanted to be the guy to help them out and tried to go as long as possible,’’ Fulmer said. ‘‘Definitely some positives from today. Hopefully I’ll be back soon.’’

Avi returns

Rays right fielder Avisail Garcia played with a little chip on his shoulder after the Sox declined to tender him a contract during the offseason, a decision that disappointed him after he made the American League All-Star team in 2017 and played through knee and hamstring problems last season.

RELATED

Rays, Snell too much for White Sox, Rodon

‘Pressing’ Daniel Palka still seeking first hit

‘‘In baseball, sometimes things go good and sometimes it goes bad,’’ said Garcia, who signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract with $2.5 million in incentives with the Rays after making $6.7 million in 2018. ‘‘I got a lot of memories in Chicago.’’

Garcia was projected to cost the Sox $8 million in arbitration this season. Instead, they signed 34-year-old Jon Jay to a one-year, $4 million deal. With Jay injured and not expected back soon and Daniel Palka going hitless in his first 21 at-bats, the Sox have had little production from Garcia’s old position.

Garcia struck out three times but went 2-for-5 with an RBI single.

Trump to end Cuban deal

The Trump administration is moving to end a deal that allows Cuban players to sign contracts directly with Major League Baseball organizations. The change means players again will be required to cut ties with their national program before signing with MLB.

The Treasury Department told MLB attorneys in a letter Friday that it was reversing an Obama administration rule that allowed the major leagues to pay the Cuban Baseball Federation a release fee equal to a percentage of each Cuban player’s signing bonus. The letter was made public Monday.

By barring the payments, it appears to make the previous deal unworkable. The Cuban federation had agreed to release all players 25 and older with at least six years of pro experience.

The deal was aimed at eliminating trafficking and dangerous journeys players such as Jose Abreu, Yasiel Puig and Yoenis Cespedes endured to get to the United States.

Abreu and Cuban teammate Yoan Moncada declined comment.

Contributing: Sun-Times wires