clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

2 hospitalized after possible chemical leak at Lincolnshire community pool

Authorities believe that carbon monoxide or chlorine leak is responsible for causing the pair to pass out.

Two people were in serious condition after exposure to possible chemicals in Lincolnshire.
File photo

Two teenagers were seriously injured Thursday after hazardous chemicals leaked at a community pool in north suburban Lincolnshire.

Authorities believe that a carbon monoxide or chlorine leak is responsible for causing the pair to pass out at the pool at 445 Village Green South, Lincolnshire police said in a statement. The situation was treated as a hazardous materials incident.

The 17-year-old boy and 16-year-old girl were found unresponsive about 2:20 p.m., police said. They were taken in serious condition to Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, but were both released later that evening.

Twelve other people, including six police officers and four firefighters, were also taken to hospitals for evaluation, police said. They have also since been released.

Police believe the leak may have been caused by a recent pool servicing, police said. The cause remains under investigation.

Residents at the apartment complex were advised to stay indoors with their windows shut and ventilation turned off while authorities handled the leak, police said.