Boy, 15, killed in Wentworth Gardens shooting

SHARE Boy, 15, killed in Wentworth Gardens shooting
greenshooting_092718_4_e1557326375797.jpg

Sun-Times file photo

A 15-year-old boy was shot to death Sunday in Wentworth Gardens on the South Side.

About 2:44 a.m., Devon Ward was standing in the courtyard of a building in the 3800 block of South Princeton Avenue when someone opened fire, Chicago police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

Ward was hit in the torso and was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where he was pronounced dead, authorities said.

No one is in custody and Area Central detectives are investigating.

Read more on crime, and track the city’s homicides.


The Latest
In Chicago to promote “So Help Me God,” former Vice President Mike Pence said he would decide on his candidacy in 2024 early next year.
On the final day to file, Mayor Lori Lightfoot, U.S. Rep. Jesús “Chuy” García and three others all officially entered the mayoral race on Monday, joining six from last week. And now Chicago’s cutthroat game of petition challenges begins.
President Joe Biden has yet to signal what states he wants to have early primaries. Michigan, Minnesota are front-runners for the Midwest early primary spot in 2024.
Donovan went out of his way to speak about how he thinks Bulls forward Patrick Williams — and all young players — should be perceived by others.
The future of Heather Mack’s daughter has been uncertain since her arrival with Mack in the United States a little more than a year ago. Mack spent seven years in Indonesian custody for helping murder her own mother, Sheila von Wiese-Mack.