clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

4 poisoned by carbon monoxide after person uses power washer in Marquette Park home

Authorities were called about 7:45 p.m. to a home in the 6600 block of South Albany Avenue.

Five people were hospitalized after a two vehicle crash in Portage Park Jan. 4, 2020.
A chemical reaction on the South Side sent several people to the hospital on Sept. 2, 2019.
Sun-Times file photo

Four people were being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning Monday after someone ran a power washer indoors on the South Side.

Authorities were called about 7:45 p.m. to a home in the 6600 block of South Albany Avenue in Marquette Park, a Chicago Fire Department spokesman said.

Firefighters detected high levels of carbon monoxide within the home, and took four people — including two children — to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition, the spokesman said. Someone within the home was operating a gas-powered power washer indoors.

Multiple other people at the home refused medical treatment, the spokesman said. The scene was ventilated and cleared an hour later.

The fire department initially said six people were taken to hospitals after a chemical reaction caused noxious fumes in the home.