1 killed, 1 critically wounded in New City shooting

One man, 24, suffered gunshot wounds throughout his body and was pronounced dead at the scene.

merlin_60617433.jpg

Scott Olson, Getty

One man was killed and another critically wounded in a shooting Tuesday morning in New City on the South Side.

About 7:20 a.m., the men were outside in the 4400 block of South Wood Street when someone exited a nearby vehicle and opened fire, Chicago police said.

Leonardo Martinez, 24, suffered gunshot wounds throughout his body and was pronounced dead at the scene, police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

Another man, 25, was struck in the abdomen and right arm, police said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition, police said.

There was no one in custody.

The Latest
Lawyers representing the family of Da’Karia Spicer asked the jury to award them more than $140 million. The city’s attorneys requested a much smaller figure between $12 million and $15 million.
Albertsons CEO Vivek Sankaran said in September that his company might consider “structural options” like laying off employees, closing stores and exiting certain markets if the Kroger merger didn’t go through.
Billy Donovan doesn’t really care about protected draft picks or trade rumors. The coach came into the season figuring out how he can make this roster the most competitive it can be, and so far so good as the Bulls are shooting threes at a franchise-record pace.
Ald. Scott Waguespack briefly threatened to block any vote on items sent to the Council by the Zoning Committee because that committee’s report did not include its rejection of a Sterling Bay proposal in Lincoln Park Waguespack opposes over concerns about traffic, parking and height of the buildings.