How well do you know your favorite football teams, players, stats and fun facts? Do you have a masterful memory of every tackle and touchdown? Can you name key (and not-so-key) players from past seasons?
Show the Chicago Sun-Times your football smarts by playing Touchdown Trivia — a daily football trivia question for six weeks of the regular 2020 season, brought to you by Geico.
New questions will be published each day in the Sun-Times and available online here. If you answer correctly, you’ll be entered to win great prizes!
Touchdown Trivia is now over. Thanks for playing!
Q: How many NFL championships has Mike Ditka won?
A: 4. Two as a player with the Bears and Cowboys, one as a Cowboys assistant coach and one as Bears head coach.
Q: What year did the Bears play all of their home games at Memorial Stadium in Champaign.
A: The Bears played downstate in 2002 while Soldier Field was being renovated.
Q: Which college conference had the most players on NFL rosters at the beginning of the season?
A: The SEC with 348 players.
Q: Which college had the most players on NFL rosters at the beginning of the season?
A: Alabama with 56.
Q: How many Pro Football Hall of Famers attended Northwestern?
A: 2: Otto Graham and Paddy Driscoll
Q: How many former Northern Illinois players were on an NFL roster at the beginning of the 2020 season?
Q: How many former Notre Dame players were on an NFL roster at the beginning of the 2020 season?
Q: How many former Illinois players were on an NFL roster at the beginning of the 2020 season?
Q: How many former Northwestern players were on an NFL roster at the beginning of the 2020 season?
Q: How many NFL teams have gone unbeaten and untied in a regular season?
A: 4: the 1934 Bears, the 1942 Bears, the 1972 Dolphins and the 2007 Patriots. (The Dolphins were the only team in this group to win a championship.)
Q: How many NFL teams have gone winless in a season?
Q: What are the only teams to go 0-16?
A: The Lions (2008) and Browns (2017).
Q: What was the most lopsided playoff shutout?
A: The Bears beat Washington 73-0 in the NFL Championship Game on Dec. 8, 1940.
Q: Which teams combined to score the fewest points in a playoff game?
A: The Cowboys and Lions combined for five points on Dec. 26, 1970, in Dallas’ 5-0 win.
Q: Which teams combined to score the most points in a playoff game?
A: The Cardinals and Packers combined for 96 points on Jan. 10, 2010, in Arizona’s 51-45 win.
Q: Which team has the longest playoff winning streak?
A: The New England Patriots won 10 straight playoff games from 2001-2005.
Q: Which team has the most playoff victories?
A: The New England Patriots have won 37 postseason games.
Q: How many Pro Football Hall of Famers graduated from Loyola?
A: 1: Chicago Cardinals owner Charles Bidwill Sr.
Q: How long was Wrigley Field the home of the Bears?
A: From 1921-1970.
Q: Which offensive lineman was voted to the Pro Bowl as a member of both the Bears and Packers?
A: Josh Sitton
Q: What was the Bears’ record at Wrigley Field?
A: The Bears went 219-89-22 at Wrigley Field.
Q: When was the Cardinals’ final season in Chicago?
A: 1959. They moved to St. Louis for the 1960 season.
Q: It’s considered an honor to be on the cover of the Madden video game. When was the last time John Madden himself was on the cover?
A: Madden last appeared on the Madden 2000 edition of his namesake game.
Q: True of false: Byron “Whizzer” White, who would eventually become a U.S. Supreme Court justice, twice led the NFL in rushing yards.
A: True. White rushed for 567 yards with the NFL’s Pittsburgh Pirates in 1938, and led the league again in 1940 with 514 yards with the Detroit Lions.
Q: How many Pro Football Hall of Famers attended the University of Illinois?
A: 6: Dick Butkus, Harold “Red” Grange , George Halas, Bobby Mitchell, Ray Nitschke and Hugh Ray
Q: Which city has hosted the most Super Bowls?
A: Miami, with 11
Q: When was the first Pro Bowl played?
A: The Pro Bowl, in its current incarnation, was first played Jan. 14, 1951, in Los Angeles.
Q: The USFL’s Chicago Blitz didn’t last long, but its two head coaches eventually made it to the Hall of Fame. Name them.
A: George Allen and Marv Levy
Q: Who won Super Bowl rings as a member of the Bears and Packers?
A: Jim McMahon led the Bears’ Super Bowl XX win, and was Brett Favre’s backup in Super Bowl XXXI.
Q: How many commissioners has the NFL had since 1960?
A: 3: Pete Rozelle, Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell
Q: Who was the first quarterback to top 50,000 career yards?
A: Dan Marino
Q: Who was the first quarterback to top 40,000 career yards?
A: Johnny Unitas
Q: Who is the only player to play for three consecutive Super Bowl championship teams?
A: Ken Norton Jr. played for the Cowboys in 1992 and 1993, and the 49ers in 1994.
Q: Which two colleges have produced the most Pro Football Hall of Famers?
A: Notre Dame and USC with 13 each.
Q: Which team selected Chadwick Boseman’s character in the movie Draft Day?
A: The Cleveland Browns
Q: Who is the NFL’s all-time leader in field goals made?
A: Adam Vinatieri leads the NFL with 599 field goals.
Q: How many Heisman Trophy winners went on to become Super Bowl MVP?
A: 4: Desmond Howard, Jim Plunkett, Roger Staubach and Marcus Allen
Q: Who was the coach of the original Cleveland Browns when the team moved to Baltimore?
A: Bill Belichick
Q: How many career rushing yards did the Bears’ Gale Sayers have?
Q: How many NFL titles have the Bears won?
A: Nine. They’ve won eight NFL championships and one Super Bowl.
Q: When did the NFL merge with the AFL?
Q: Which teams have won the most Super Bowls?
A: Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots at six each.
Official rules and regulations
Touchdown Trivia Contest
1. HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning. The “Touchdown Trivia” Contest (the “Contest”) is being organized by Sun-Times Media, LLC (together, with its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, contractors, directors, officers, employees and agents, the “Sun-Times”). The Contest will begin on Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. and end on Friday, November 20, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. (“Contest Period”). Enter the Contest by going to the web site located at suntimes.com/trivia completely filling out an entry form and following the directions to submit the form prior to the end of the Contest Period. All entrants must have a valid email address and complete all required fields on the entry form. Limit of one (1) entry per person per day. All entries for the Contest must be received before 5:30 p.m. on November 20, 2020.
Entrants may not register with multiple email addresses nor may entrants use any other device or artifice to register multiple times or as multiple registrants. Any entrant who attempts to enter with multiple email addresses under multiple identities or uses any device or artifice to register/play multiple times will be disqualified and forfeits any and all Prizes won, in Sun-Times Media, LLC’s discretion. Should multiple users of the same e-mail account enter the Contest and a dispute thereafter arise regarding the identity of the entrant, the authorized account holder of said e-mail account at the time of entry will be considered the entrant. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization which is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses or the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Sun-Times Media, LLC reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual (and all of his or her entries) who tampers with the entry process. Automated entries are prohibited, and any use of automated devices will cause disqualification.
Sun-Times is not responsible for late, lost, delayed, unclear, incomplete, misdirected, or ineligible entries, which will be disqualified, or for technical, hardware, or software malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest which may limit the ability to play or participate, or by any human error that may occur in the processing of the entries in the Contest. The computer clock of Sun-Times is the official timekeeping device of the Contest.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open to legal residents of Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin aged 18 years or older, except employees of Sun-Times Media, LLC, its parent(s) and affiliated companies, advertising agencies, and relatives of and those living in the same household as such employees. For the purpose of this Contest, relatives are defined as spouse, mother, father, in-laws, grandmother, grandfather, brother, sister, children and grandchildren. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited.
3. SELECTION OF WINNERS: During the Contest Period, the Sun-Times or its designated judges (whose decisions are final) will conduct a random drawing every seven (7) days from among all eligible entries to determine one (1) Prize winner. The winner will be notified that they may have won a Prize in this Contest by email and phone. If the winner does not respond to Prize notification, or Contest communication is rejected or returned as undeliverable, or if a winner cannot be reached after a reasonable attempt has been made by the Sun-Times (as determined by the Sun-Times in its sole discretion), such winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected from all eligible entries. Upon Prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. The winners’ names may be published in any of Sun-Times Media, LLC or its affiliates’ publications and/or websites.
4. PRIZES: During the Contest Period, there will be up to six (6) total Prizes awarded.
The Prizes consists of one signed Bears merchandise item for each winner (approximate value $300 each). The combined retail value of all the Prizes is $1,800. Actual values may vary. Winners will not receive the difference between actual and approximate retail value. Winners will not be permitted to select Prize. Failure to use the Prize after it has been accepted by a winner will not excuse the winner from the obligation to pay taxes on the Prize accepted.
Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. All Prizes legitimately claimed will be awarded. No transfers, Prize substitutions or cash redemptions will be made. In addition, Sun-Times reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to substitute a Prize (or portion thereof) of comparable or greater value whether due to the unavailability of a Prize or Prize component, or for any other reason. Prizes are non-refundable and must be accepted as awarded. No more than the stated number of Prizes will be awarded.
Sun-Times Media, LLC will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen tickets, vouchers or certificates. If any winner cannot use all or portions of the Prize, Sun-Times Media, LLC will not be obligated to provide any sort of substitute ticket or compensation. All state, federal, and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner, regardless if a Prize is redeemed. Any departure taxes, insurance, fees and fuel surcharges (including, airport departure taxes, airport arrival taxes, airline fuel surcharges, and tour-guard insurance) are the sole responsibility of a winner and must be paid by winner prior to departure. Any travel expenses, lodging, ground transportation and any other expenses not specified in these Official Rules are the sole responsibility of the winner.
5. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY/REQUIREMENTS: By entering entrant agrees to release, defend, hold harmless and indemnify Sun-Times Media, LLC and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, contractors, directors, officers, employees and agents against any and all liability, damages or causes of action (however named or described), with respect to or arising out of any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind caused by the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a Prize awarded in the Contest, including but not limited to any claims for damage to property, personal injury, death or claims based on defamation, rights of privacy, rights of publicity or merchandise delivery. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the entrant ineligible. By entering, entrant further agrees that (a) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (b) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this contest, or any Prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (c) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys’ fees and court costs. By entering entrant agrees to fully release Facebook and acknowledges that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with Facebook or Instagram. WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SUN-TIMES MEDIA, LLC RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR SUCH ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Sun-Times Media, LLC is not responsible for any printing or typographical errors in these Official Rules or any other materials associated with the Contest.
By entering this Contest and accepting the Prize, each winner agrees to maintain his or her behavior in accordance with all applicable laws and generally accepted social practices in connection with participation in any Contest activity, including use of the Prize.
At Sun-Times Media, LLC’s sole discretion, each winner will be required to sign and return a claim form and an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within ten (10) days of receipt or his or her Prize may be forfeited. In the event of noncompliance with any of the foregoing requirements, the Prize may be forfeited. All Prize claims, affidavits of eligibility and liability/publicity releases are subject to verification by Sun-Times Media, LLC.
Entrants enter at their own risk and Sun-Times Media, LLC is not responsible for and shall not be liable for any condition caused by events beyond its control that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted. Failure to comply with these Official Rules may result in disqualification from this Contest. Sun-Times Media, LLC reserves the right to revise these Official Rules and/or to permanently disqualify any person they believe has violated these Official Rules.
6. GENERAL RULES: By entering the Contest (except where prohibited by law), entrants consent to the use of their names, pictures, likenesses, voices, biographical data, and/or any information contained in their entry in advertising, promotion and marketing materials throughout the world in any medium now or hereafter invented, including on the internet, by Sun-Times Media, LLC and third party marketing entities, without additional compensation, notification, review, or approval. Sun-Times Media, LLC decisions will be final in all matters related to this Contest, the interpretation of these Official Rules and awarding of the Prizes. If the Contest is not capable of running as planned for any reason, Sun-Times Media, LLC reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest. DO NOT call Sun-Times Media, LLC as this Contest will not be discussed by phone, except at Sun-Times Media, LLC’s sole discretion.
7. CHOICE OF LAW/VENUE: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and Sun-Times Media, LLC in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Illinois, U.S.A., without giving effect to the conflict of laws rules thereof, and any matters or proceedings shall take place in the State of Illinois, in the City of Chicago.
8. WINNERS’ LIST: For the name of the winner, send a legal-size, self-addressed, stamped envelope to: “Touchdown Trivia” Winners, 30 N. Racine Ave., Suite 300, Chicago, IL 60607. Requests must be received no later than three (3) months following the close of the Contest.
9. SPONSORS: Sun-Times Media, LLC, 30 N. Racine Avenue Suite 300, Chicago, IL 60607 and a Geico Insurance Agent 8549 S Cicero Ave, Chicago, IL 60652