Bears didn’t make any calls to shop Jay Cutler: report

SHARE Bears didn’t make any calls to shop Jay Cutler: report
SHARE Bears didn’t make any calls to shop Jay Cutler: report

The deadline for the Bears to cut Jay Cutler loose without owing him $10 million for 2016 came and went last week.

Speculation ran wild during the weeks leading up to the deadline, due largely to the fact that neither general manager Ryan Pace nor coach John Fox made a commitment to Cutler during the NFL combine.

Pace may have been shopping Cutler to potential suitors during that time, but NFL Network reporter Ian Rapoport says no such calls were made.

Pace would later say he did not try to trade Cutler. And speaking to WGN radio on Sunday, Rapoport said no team indicated to him that they’d heard from the Bears.

“Everybody knew Cutler was available for the right price,” Rapoport said. “Everyone’s available for the right price. … And then, honestly, I called every team that could possibly need a quarterback. And I asked them, ‘Did the Bears call you?’

“And I found not one person who would say ‘Yes.’ What I realized was that the Bears did not actively shop Jay Cutler. He was available, sure. But they did not actively go down the road of seeing what his trade value is.”

You can listen to the full interview here.

The Latest
After our long period of COVID-19 isolation, we have vicariously enjoyed the idea of a free-running animal weighing 1,300 pounds staking out her own turf.
A 22-year-old man was attempting to enter the park in the first block of East Monroe Street but he refused to be checked for weapons at the entry point, police said.
Zalatoris hit the ball on the button whether he was in the fairway or the rough, running off three straight birdies in gentler afternoon conditions for a 5-under 65 and a one-shot lead over Mito Pereira of Chile.
Rising interest rates, high inflation, the war in Ukraine, and a slowdown in China’s economy are all punishing stocks and raising fears about a possible U.S. recession.