The Bears had a second player opt out because of coronavirus concerns: safety Jordan Lucas, whom they signed to a one-year, $1 million deal in March.
The team put Lucas on the reserve/opt-out list Monday after doing the same last week with standout nose tackle Eddie Goldman.
The Bears hoped Lucas, a Super Bowl champion with the Chiefs, would contribute on special teams. Coordinator Chris Tabor was particularly intrigued by his speed and versatility.
Lucas was asked in June what it would take for him to feel safe inside Halas Hall.
“For me? I feel like everyone taking it seriously,” he said. “That’s just around the world, which I know is not gonna happen right now. Because you see people going out, still partying, this and that. All this media coverage of the [George Floyd-related] protests, but a lot of people are forgetting about coronavirus still. It’s a real thing. It’s still killing. It’s still affecting a lot of people.
“I’ve been taking it serious as far as the quarantine going, my family has. And I’m just less worried about me, more worried about my son and my wife. So we’re trying to stay as safe as possible.”
General manager Ryan Pace said last week that he hadn’t been told that anyone other than Goldman planned to opt out.
The Bears activated tight end Eric Saubert and nose tackle John Jenkins from the reserve/COVID-19 list. They either tested positive last week or were near someone who did. They also cut offensive lineman Dino Boyd.