Easter, Holy Week services — Watch on TV, stream online, listen on radio
Stay home: The faithful can celebrate Easter with a “virtual” community according to the Archdiocese of Chicago.
Christians across the Chicago area will not be able to head to their local churches for this year’s Holy Week services due to the mandated shut-down of houses of worship amid the coronavirus pandemic.
But the faithful can celebrate with a “virtual” community in the following ways according to the Archdiocese of Chicago’s website schedule below (you can also check the Facebook page and/or website of your local parish for details on individual churches’ livestreaming options):
- Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper: Streaming online at 5 p.m. at radiotv.archchicago.org/television/broadcast-masses
- Good Friday Liturgy of the Lord’s Passion: Streaming online at 3 p.m. Friday at radiotv.archchicago.org/television/broadcast-masses
- Holy Saturday Easter Vigil: Streaming online at 8 p.m. Saturday at radiotv.archchicago.org/television/broadcast-masses
- Sunday Easter Mass (English, Spanish, Polish): Streaming online at 6 a.m. Sunday at radiotv.archchicago.org/television/broadcast-masses
All these liturgies (including last week’s Palm Sunday service) can be viewed on the website anytime after their original online stream.
Good Friday services will be televised via the special presentation, “7 Cries From Chicago: A Good Friday Worship Experience,” from 6-8 p.m. streaming live on abc7chicago.com and on ABC-7 Chicago’s 7-2 which can be found on Comcast (channel 217 and 1178), RCN Ch 618, WOW (channel 219), Mediacom (channel 723) and Charter (channel 608). The special worship service centers on the last seven phrases Jesus uttered as he was suffering and dying on the cross.
The livestream will also be featured on each of the participating churches’ (see list below) facebook pages.
Pastors participating in the worship will include: Rev. James Meeks, House of Hope; Rev. Dr. Otis Moss III, Trinity United Church of Christ; Rev. Michael Pfleger, The Faith Community of Saint Sabina; Rev. Jeanette Wilson, Rainbow/PUSH; Pastor Craig Robinson & Dr. Shakira Sanchez, Saint James AME; Dr. Charles Dates, Progressive Baptist Church; and Pastor Reginald Sharpe, Fellowship Baptist Church.
Old St. Pat’s will livestream the Stations of the Cross with Terry Nelson-Johnson and Katie Davis-Crowder at 3 p.m. Friday at https://livestream.com/oldstpats/events/9069493.
- ABC-7 will televise Easter Mass in English at noon.
- Univision will televise Easter Mass in Spanish at 10a.m.
- Polvision will televise Easter Mass in Polish at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
On the radio:
- WGN-720 will broadcast the Holy Saturday Easter Vigil from Holy Name Cathedral at 10 p.m. Saturday.
- WGN-720 will broadcast Easter Sunday Mass with Cardinal Blase Cupich from Holy Name Cathedral at 9 a.m. Sunday.
In addition, you can livestream the Easter mass from the Vatican in St. Peter’s Basilica with Pope Francis starting at 3:55 a.m., or catch it later in the day on YouTube. Fox News Channel will livestream the mass from the Vatican beginning at 4 a.m.
From 9 to 11 a.m., Fox New Channel will feature two hours of special programming hosted by Sandra Smith and featuring live reports and segments with priests, pastors and rabbis on site at Easter and Passover celebrations from around the world, highlighted by a 20-minute Easter message from Franklin Graham.
Televangelist Joel Osteen will be celebrating Easter Sunday mass with some big-name celebrities. The pastor will be joined at his Lakewood Church in Houston by Mariah Carey, Kanye West and Tyler Perry, according to TMZ.com. According to deadline.com, Carey will be singing, Perry will address the congregation and details of West’s involvement were not disclosed, though, like Perry, he has previously shared the pulpit with Osteen.
Christian World Media has a full schedule of Easter week services for myriad denominations streaming over the next few days at christianworldmedia.com.
ABC 7 CHICAGO will bring a special presentation, 7 CRIES FROM CHICAGO: A GOOD FRIDAY WORSHIP EXPERIENCE to Chicago area viewers on Friday, April 10 from 6-8 PM on the station’s 7.2 Channel. It will also be streamed LIVE on abc7chicago.com. ABC 7’s 7.2 Channel can be found on Comcast Ch 217 & 1178, RCN Ch 618, WOW Ch