clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Parolee charged with trying to kill two cops in Englewood gas station shootout

Jose Reynolds, 22, was arrested after seeking treatment for a gunshot wound at a nearby hospital about 10 minutes later.

Citgo gas station, 251 W. 63rd St.
Citgo gas station, 251 W. 63rd St.
Google Maps

A man on parole has been charged with turning a gun on two Chicago police officers as they responded to a shooting early Sunday at an Englewood gas station.

Jose Reynolds was charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder of a police officer in connection with the shooting and ordered held without bail Tuesday during a hearing at the Leighton Criminal Court Building.

Reynolds was released on parole in December while serving a two-year sentence for a felony theft conviction, according to state records.

About 2:30 a.m. Sunday, the officers were inside a Citgo gas station at 251 W. 63rd St. when they heard gunfire outside, Cook County prosecutors said at the hearing.

The officers, who were on-duty, uniformed and driving a CPD squad car, which was parked in the lot, saw Reynolds and a co-offender in a red shirt firing black handguns and using a black SUV for cover, prosecutors said. When Reynolds and the person in the red shirt saw the officers, they turned their guns and fired in the officers’ direction.

Jose Reynolds
Jose Reynolds
Illinois Department of Corrections

Prosecutors said the two officers returned fire at Reynolds and the person in the red shirt, but lost sight of the third person who was with them.

Reynolds and the person in the red shirt then ran, but fired again behind them as they were chased by the officers, prosecutors said. A 9-mm Glock and a .40-caliber Glock were later found along their path.

Other officers on patrol saw Reynolds and his partner run into the emergency room at St. Bernard Hospital and return to the same black SUV that had been parked at the gas station earlier, prosecutors said.

Surveillance video confirmed the officer’s statements, and showed that just before the shooting began, Reynolds and his partners had approached a parked car on the street. The video allegedly showed a female get out and walk toward Reynolds and then another vehicle pull up beside the car the woman had been in.

Investigators recovered 37 shell casings from the gas station and determined 17 had been fired by the officers and 20 had been fired by Reynolds and his partner, prosecutors said.

A police POD camera later recorded the black SUV getting onto the Dan Ryan Expressway at 67th street. Police were able to match the SUV — which had been reported stolen in Glencoe in June — with dealer license plates that had been attached to it. Those plates had been stolen in Chicago in April.

The SUV was found burning in Harvey on Monday, prosecutors said.

About 2:40 a.m., Reynolds showed up at Mercy Hospital with a gunshot wound to his shoulder and a black SUV was recorded on surveillance video pulled from the lot, prosecutors said. He said he had been shot on the Dan Ryan, but police had no reports of a shooting on the expressway and noticed his clothes matched one of the shooters in the gas station.

When placed in custody, Reynolds allegedly admitted being at the gas station and said he fired at the other car that pulled up because he thought the people inside had a gun. He said he didn’t fire at the police officers, but prosecutors noted that the direction Reynolds allegedly admitted to shooting would have been toward the officers.

Judge David Navarro said he found Reynolds to be a danger to the community and ordered him held without bail.

Police said Sunday they were working to determine whether Reynolds was shot by a CPD officer or during the earlier gunfire, but on Tuesday officials said they couldn’t comment, citing an ongoing investigation.