Third man charged in murder of Sound Bar security guard

Michael Matthews turned himself in Sunday at the Wentworth District police station, police said. He is expected to appear in court for a bail hearing on Monday.

SHARE Third man charged in murder of Sound Bar security guard
Thurman Bailey

Thurman Bailey

Facebook photo

A third man has been charged with murder in the fatal shooting of a Sound Bar security guard earlier this year outside the River North club.

Michael Matthews, 41, is charged with one felony count each of mob action and murder while committing another forcible felony in connection with the March 8 shooting that killed 28-year-old Thurman Bailey in the 600 block of North Franklin Street, according to a statement from Chicago police.

Michael Matthews

Michael Matthews

Chicago police

Matthews turned himself in Sunday at the Wentworth District police station, 5101 S. Wentworth Ave., police said. He is expected to appear in court for a bail hearing on Monday.

Bailey was killed and a 58-year-old man was injured in the shooting after a brawl shortly after midnight March 8 in front of Sound Bar, 645 N. Franklin, police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

Armond Williams, 37, was charged in March with first degree murder and first degree attempted murder for the shooting. Jon Poole, 34, was arrested in Georgia in July and charged with four counts of murder.

Read more on crime, and track the city’s homicides.

The Latest
Los planes incluyen un auditorio, viviendas, parques y espacios peatonales como parte de un proyecto de 10 años de duración que podría comenzar en 2025.
Una corte de apelaciones le pidió a un juez del Condado de Cook que reconsidere si Kimberlynn Bolaños era mentalmente capaz cuando se declaró culpable en 2016. En una audiencia el martes, el juez hizo arreglos para otra evaluación mental.
Fourth grader Arianna Curry and several other grade-schoolers gathered Wednesday morning to taste test potential school menu items at Arnold Mireles Academy in South Chicago.
Tom Rezek’s legacy at St. Laurence High School in Burbank will endure long after his passing, says a former student and current school administrator.
Asked on CNN if he would accept the No. 2 slot if it was offered, Pritzker replied, “I love being governor of Illinois. … I’d be reluctant to make a change, but it’d be hard to resist a call and consideration if the nominee called me to ask to be considered for vice president.”