Chicago man accused of killing bystander during looting in Cicero

Zion Haygood allegedly shot Jose Gutierrez about 7 p.m. Monday in the 2100 block of South 50th Avenue, a town spokesman said.

SHARE Chicago man accused of killing bystander during looting in Cicero
A man was shot to death October 28, 2021 in Austin.

A man was charged with killing an innocent bystander June 1, 2020, while looting in Cicero.

Adobe Stock Photo

A man is accused of killing an innocent bystander during a night of looting in west suburban Cicero over the weekend.

Zion Haygood was charged with first-degree murder for the alleged fatal shooting of 28-year-old Jose Gutierrez, according to Cicero spokesman Ray Hanania.

Haygood allegedly shot Gutierrez about 7 p.m. Monday in the 2100 block of South 50th Avenue, Hanania said. He was taken into custody after a brief chase along with two other suspects, who have not yet been charged.

At the time of the shooting, Hanania said that the suspects were “looters who are not Cicero residents.” Haygood is from Chicago, Hanania later clarified.

An investigation found that Gutierrez had not been involved in any looting and was just a bystander when he was shot, Hanania said.

Another man, 27-year-old Victor Cazares Jr., was killed in a separate shooting that night near Super Espiga Grocery, 4920 West 14th St.

Sixty people had been taken into custody by the evening’s end, Cicero police said.

The Latest
Both vehicles struck the woman, 25, who was crossing the street, police said.
Luca Carbonaro was remarkably efficient on Friday in Wheaton, scoring 18 points on just eight shots to lead Wheaton-Warrenville South to a 56-24 win against Geneva.
“We’re ensuring that Illinoisans across the state have access to the resources and wraparound support that sets them up for success,” Pritzker said in marking the second year expansion at St. Augustine College in Uptown. St. Augustine’s Aurora and Grayslake locations received $1 million in funding for the program.
The FDA announced a draft of new guidelines Friday that would end mandatory three-month abstinence periods for men who have sex with men. For Illinois hospitals and blood banks, the change is long overdue.
The former CPS CEO has taken $7,500 from Deborah Quazzo plus $10,000 from her husband. Vallas had given back $500 Quazzo gave him during his 2019 run for mayor.