Three people were killed and five teens were among 22 others wounded in shootings in Chicago over the weekend.
The fatal attacks occurred in the South Loop, the Near West Side and in Bronzeville. There have been at least 59 homicides so far this year, slightly fewer than this time last year, according to data kept by the Sun-Times.
- A man was found shot to death in the South Loop around 4:30 a.m. Sunday. The man, 44, was found in the street in the first block of East 24th Street with two gunshot wounds to the lower extremities, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene. He hasn’t been identified yet.
- Another man was fatally shot on the Near West Side about two hours earlier. The 22-year-old was in the first block of South Seeley Avenue about 2:50 a.m. when he was shot in the chest and right hand. He went to Stroger Hospital, where he died, police said. He has not yet been identified.
- A person was killed and another was wounded around 4:35 p.m. Saturday in Bronzeville. A male, age unknown, was a passenger in a car traveling in the first block of East 43rd Street when someone fired shots, police said. The car struck two others in traffic before coming to a stop, police said. The male suffered a gunshot wound to the side and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. His name hasn’t been released. A 21-year-old man was shot in the arm and torso and went to the University of Chicago Medical Center. Two guns were found at the scene, police said.
- Two 16-year-old boys were shot during a robbery around 3:30 p.m. Sunday in Gage Park on the Southwest Side. The teens were on the sidewalk in the 5600 block of South Christiana Avenue when two gunmen got out of a car and demanded their property, police said. One teen refused and was hit in the head with a gun and then shot in the lower back, police said. The other teen handed over his property and tried to flee, and was shot in the back. Both teens were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in fair condition, police said.
- A 15-year-old boy was critically wounded around 6:05 p.m. in Englewood on the South Side. The teen was on the sidewalk in the 6700 block of South May Street when someone opened fire, police said. He was shot in the neck and was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition, police said.
- A 17-year-old boy was struck by gunfire around 2:20 p.m. Saturday in Hyde Park on the South Side. The teen was on the sidewalk in the 5600 block of South Woodlawn Avenue when a dark car pulled up and someone inside fired shots, police said. He was shot in the arm and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in good condition, police said.
- Hours earlier, another 17-year-old boy was shot in South Chicago on the South Side around 11:30 a.m. He was in the 8300 block of South Houston Avenue, when he was shot in the right shoulder, police said. The boy was taken to the University of Chicago, where his condition was stabilized, police said.
At least 16 others were wounded in shootings in Chicago over the weekend.
Last weekend, a 16-year-old boy was among four people killed, and a 17-year-old was among 16 others wounded in shootings in Chicago.