At least 2 questioned in 15-year-old’s death released without charges
Subscribe for unlimited digital access.
Try one month for $1!
Subscribe for unlimited digital access. Try one month for $1!
At least two people have been released from police custody without charges after being questioned in connection with the fatal shooting of a 15-year-old boy during a robbery attempt Saturday on the South Side.
Demario Bailey was gunned down about 12:40 p.m. as he and his twin brother made their way toward Johnson College Prep, 6350 South Stewart, to play basketball, according to police and the boy’s aunt, Michelle Fitzpatrick.
“Some guys came upon him and tried to rob him of his jacket,” Fitzpatrick said. “Our nephew wouldn’t give up his coat, and they shot him in chest.”
Bailey was on a sidewalk in the first block of West 63rd Street when four people walked up and announced the robbery, according to police.
A gunman among the four then fired and struck Bailey, police said.
Bailey, of the 7500 block of South Wabash, was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:47 p.m., authorities said.
“Based on background, the investigation is going well,” a police source said Saturday. Officials would only say more than one person was in custody.
As of Sunday morning, those people had been released from custody without charges, according to police News Affairs Officer Janel Sedevic.
Bailey would have turned 16 on Tuesday.