At least 2 in custody in connection with shooting of Chicago cop, 2 federal agents on Southwest Side

They are among five law enforcement officials wounded in three days in Chicago. ‘The police are under siege,’ Ald. Matt O’Shea said.

SHARE At least 2 in custody in connection with shooting of Chicago cop, 2 federal agents on Southwest Side

Chicago police cordon off the 8900 block of South Indiana Avenue after a police officer and two ATF agents were shot and wounded Wednesday morning.

Mitch Dudek/Chicago Sun-Times

At least two people are in custody Wednesday evening in connection with the shooting of a Chicago police officer and two federal agents who were working undercover on the Southwest Side, a source said.

Police spokesman Tom Ahern said in a tweet that one person was being interviewed by detectives but gave no other details. A source told the Chicago Sun-Times that at least one other person is also in custody.

Police had found a white Chevrolet Malibu believed to be used in the shooting near 89th Place and Indiana Avenue. Officers had been looking for a suspect there, and a “drone command van” was sent to assist in the search.

The shooting happened shortly before 6 a.m. as the three were getting onto the northbound lanes of Interstate 57 near 119th Street, about a mile from the Morgan Park police station, police said.

The police officer was grazed in the back of the head, an agent with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was shot in the hand, and another ATF agent suffered a wound to his side, police said. All were taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center.

La Voz Sidebar

Lea este artículo en español en La Voz Chicago, la sección bilingüe del Sun-Times.

Police Supt. David Brown told reporters the three “were conducting an investigation. They were all together in one vehicle when they were fired upon.”

Brown gave no details about the undercover operation. He said one of the ATF agents is a woman. The police officer and the other ATF agent are men.

All three were released from the hospital as of Wednesday evening, a source said.

Illinois State Police troopers were called to assist with the investigation.

Cmdr. Patrina Wines was one of two Chicago police officers shot and wounded early Monday.

Cmdr. Patrina Wines was one of two Chicago police officers shot and wounded early Monday.

Ashlee Rezin García/Sun-Times

The two wounded ATF agents and police officer are among five law enforcement officials shot in Chicago over the past three days.

Chicago police Cmdr. Patrina Wines and a sergeant were wounded by bullets fired into a crowd of revelers in the 100 block of North Long Avenue in Austin at about 1:30 a.m. Monday. Wines was struck in the foot, and the sergeant was grazed in the leg.

Brown said 36 Chicago police officers have either been shot or shot at this year.

“We have more than 100,000 gang members in the city of Chicago,” Ald. Matt O’Shea (19th) said Wednesday. “They are emboldened and have nothing to fear from law enforcement. The police are under siege.”

O’Shea, whose ward includes the area where the shooting occurred, said the police department is struggling with a shortage of manpower because of a record number of retirements this year.

Ald. Matt O’Shea (19th): “The police are under siege.”

Ald. Matt O’Shea (19th): “The police are under siege.”

Pat Nabong / Sun-Times

“We’re at a critical point in the city of Chicago. We need help. Police can’t do it alone,” he said, appealing to President Joe Biden, who visited Crystal Lake on Wednesday.

“In some communities, mothers and fathers are scared to let their kids out in front of their house,” O’Shea said. “We continue to have these episodes here on the South Side, and today was another example of the utter lawlessness we see in the streets.”

The Latest
Simmons used TV shows, videos and books to get his message out, even as he eventually became the butt of jokes for his outfits and flamboyant flair.
“You can’t hide what everybody can see,” center fielder Luis Robert Jr. said. “It’s been what it has been. We have to keep working hard to try to get a better second half.”
“I’m here,” Robert said. “My mind is here. And until something changes, I’m here.”
A 31-year-old motorist rear-ended a semi about 12:50 a.m. Saturday in the southbound lanes of the Stevenson Expressway near Harlem Avenue. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.