Chicago’s spring, summer festivals back on track for 2022 — in pre-pandemic size and scope
The Chicago Blues Festival, Chicago Air and Water Show, World Music Festival Chicago and more are all scheduled to return as in-person events this year.
Chicago’s major city-sponsored spring/summer festivals and cultural programming are returning as in-person events and in pre-pandemic size and scope.
Lea este artículo en español en La Voz Chicago.
Following a two-year, pandemic-driven hiatus, restructuring or virtual pivots, events such as the Chicago Blues Festival, Chicago Jazz Festival, Taste of Chicago, Farmers Markets and more have been officially scheduled, according to an announcement Thursday by Mayor Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE).
“Chicago’s spring and summertime programming is cherished by our residents and bolsters our tourism, hospitality and creative industries,” the mayor said in the announcement. “I am thrilled that we can bring back our iconic music and food festivals, as well as hundreds of other events. This will help to bring a sense of normalcy back to our city and revitalize the local economies of our neighborhoods.”
Among the highlights of the in-person events are a two-day Chicago Air and Water Show; a full-on (38 Sundays) Maxwell Street Market; and Taste of Chicago featuring food and music events in three Chicago neighborhoods in June and a “mini” Grant Park version spanning three days in July with nearly 40 eateries and food trucks expected to participate and three mainstage concerts.
The Chicago Blues Festival and Chicago Jazz Festival (all-virtual events in 2020 and one-night only concerts last year) are both set for four days of music sets at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion and various neighborhood concerts.
Here are the dates for 2022 spring/summer festivals and special events:
- Maxwell Street Market (800 S. Desplaines St.): Sundays, April 3 – Dec. 18; MaxwellStreetMarket.us
- Chicago City Markets (citywide including Daley Plaza): May – October, ChicagoCityMarkets.us
- Memorial Day Wreath Laying Ceremony and Parade (Daley Plaza and State Street): May 28; Chicago.gov/DCASE
- Millennium Park Summer Workouts (Great Lawn): Saturdays, May 28 – Sept. 3; MillenniumPark.org
- Millennium Park Summer Film Series (Jay Pritzker Pavilion): Tuesdays, July 12 – Aug. 30; MillenniumPark.org
- Chicago Gospel Music Experience (Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park): June 4; MillenniumPark.org
- Chicago Blues Festival (citywide and at Millennium Park’s Jay Pritzker Pavilion): June 9–12, MillenniumPark.org and ChicagoBluesFestival.us
- Taste of Chicago June 11, 18, 25 (in neighborhoods) and July 8–10 (Grant Park); TasteofChicago.us
- Millennium Park Summer Music Series (Jay Pritzker Pavilion): Mondays and Thursdays, June 20 – Aug. 18; MillenniumPark.org
- Chicago SummerDance (citywide) including pop-ups, special events, Night Out in the Parks events, and programs at the Spirit of Music Garden in Grant Park: select dates July 6 – Sept. 17; ChicagoSummerDance.org
- Chicago Air and Water Show (North Avenue Beach and along the Lakefront): 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 20 -21; practice runs Aug. 19; ChicagoAirandWaterShow.us
- Year of Chicago Dance Showcase (Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park): Aug. 27; MillenniumPark.org
- Chicago Jazz Festival (citywide and Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park ): Sept. 1–4; MillenniumPark.org and ChicagoJazzFestival.us
- Chicago House Music Experience (Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park): Sept. 16, plus community events, dates TBA; MillenniumPark.org
- SummerDance Celebration (Jay Pritzker Pavilion and throughout Millennium Park); Sept. 17, MillenniumPark.org and ChicagoSummerDance.org
- World Music Festival Chicago (citywide): Sept. 30 – Oct. 9; WorldMusicFestivalChicago.org
Updates and more information will be available throughout the coming months at Chicago.gov/DCASE.