Update on Sofia Vergara, Nick Loeb and ‘Embryogate’
Subscribe for unlimited digital access.
Try one month for $1!
Subscribe for unlimited digital access. Try one month for $1!
While it sounds like the legal battle over the frozen embryos created by Sofia Vergara and ex-fiance Nick Loeb may be close to be resolved, that likely won’t be decided until after a May 22 hearing on the case in a Los Angeles courtroom.
Loeb released a statement Monday further explaining his position in the case — adding he wants to become a father, with or without the involvement of the “Modern Family” star.
In his statement, Loeb explained, “I have always strongly believed that life begins at conception and that every embryo is a life on the journey towards birth. I created these two female embryos with the purpose of taking them to term and not destruction, because I have always dreamed of being a father.
“I have previously offered to waive any parental or financial responsibilities or obligations on the part of my ex, and to even give her the opportunity to be involved with the child in the future, should she change her mind.”
The new statement from Loeb was issued through his attorney, Mark Heller, updating the original complaint, seeking to “save from destruction” two frozen female embryos created with Loeb’s sperm and Vergara’s eggs, prior to their split in May of last year.
The actress is now engaged to “True Blood” actor Joe Manganiello.
Recently, Vergara’s attorney released a statement to People magazine stressing she had “no desire to have children with her ex,” and added that she has moved on with her life.
That said, Vergara’s lawyer did also say his client has no desire to destroy the embryos and has no issue with them continuing to be frozen in perpetuity. The actress’ attorney also said that the former couple signed an agreement in November 2013 (when the embryos were created), which stated “no unilateral action can be taken with regard to the embryos unless both parties consent.”