JOB OPENING: Audience Engagement Editor
CLOSED: We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago news organization, with a laser focus on impactful investigations, sports, politics, and reporting stories that matter to the working men and women of Chicago. We’re hiring a dynamic digital leader to help our team of experienced journalists at the Chicago Sun-Times and the Reader share content in the digital space in unique and bold ways. Using new, multi-platform production and delivery capabilities, this person will help us meet our news consumers where they are and provide our advertising partners with real value.
- Create strategies to grow the digital audience and deepen engagement with news content
- Train, manage and motivate a young team of multimedia journalists, in collaboration with a senior team of reporters and editors
- Monitor engagement and traffic trends and use insights to drive content decisions
- Identify new opportunities and big moves that will keep us ahead of our competition and the changing landscape of platforms to which we publish
- Innovate new ways to tell stories that captivate
- Solid editorial judgment and ethics
- Strong photo, video and writing skills
- Ability to tell stories in multimedia formats
- Capacity to keep cool under deadline pressure
- Working knowledge of all social media and digital platforms, including live streaming
- Ability to coach and collaborate in a fast-paced environment, helping staff set and reach goals
- 5+ years management experience at a digital-first operation, preferably hard news
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Proven track record of growing audience
- Working knowledge of WordPress, Google Analytics, Chartbeat, CrowdTangle, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro and/or Sprout Social, a plus
- Highly self-motivated with a passion to win
This is an exempt (non-union) position. Sun-Times Media Productions, LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.
Send a confidential cover letter, links to at least 3 examples of work and resume with “Audience Engagement Editor” in the subject line to: email@example.com