JOB OPENING: Digital Content Producer – STNG
The Chicago Sun-Times is hiring a dynamic content producer for our Sun-Times News Gathering (STNG) Wire Desk. Major media outlets rely on STNG for the latest and accurate coverage of breaking local stories.
This producer will specialize in breaking news — from shootings and fires, to fatal crashes and inclement weather. The successful candidate will know how to sum up the facts into meaningful, concise reports, and has ideas about how to connect these breaking stories to larger discussions about big issues within our coverage area. This position requires working overnights.
Join the team of the hardest-working paper in America.
- Write, edit and publish breaking news briefs following the best practices of SEO, storytelling and audience engagement
- Maintain and publish the daybook twice a day
- Gather and write up summaries of civil lawsuits
- Send breaking news alerts, as needed
- Solid editorial judgment and ethics
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to learn quickly and collaborate in a fast-paced environment
- Thrives in breaking news situations
- Capacity to keep cool under deadline pressure
- Ability to see around the corner and spot stories ideal for our digital audience
- Knows how to enterprise stories to differentiate the Sun-Times product from competition
- Knows AP Style
- Working knowledge of WordPress, Google Analytics, Chartbeat, CrowdTangle and Sprout Social, a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Minimum 1-year experience as a writer, reporter or editorial assistant
- Willing to work overnight shift.
Send a cover letter, links to at least five examples of work and resume with “Digital Content Producer – STNG” in the subject line to: email@example.com
No phone calls.
This is a non-exempt (union) position. Sun-Times Media Production, LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.