JOB OPENING: Executive Editor, Chicago Reader
Sun-Times Media is seeking an Executive Editor to be the strategic and creative leader of Chicago’s storied Reader. The candidate should have a passion for editorial operations and should feel confident leading a team of editors and writers, ensuring that their content adheres to the Reader’s voice, standards and mission — digitally, as well as in print. The candidate should also have a strong sense of the bottom line and an unshakeable commitment to sustainable journalism.
We’re recruiting an editorial leader to further develop our mix of long-form journalism and expand our commitment to shed light on the most interesting and important stories that touch on the human condition in Chicago. Arts, politics, and social justice have been our staples. We are looking for someone who will grow the brand in exciting new ways. The role includes working with the company’s leadership team to optimize resource sharing between published brands.
Musts include a habit of hard work, a positive attitude, a collaborative spirit, a deep appreciation of the Reader voice and mission, a sense of urgency, strong copy editing skills and a determination to build a championship team.
- Solid editorial judgment and ethics
- Ability to edit complicated stories and make them clear for readers
- Demonstrated track record of using innovative approaches to build audience
- Knows how to enterprise stories to differentiate the Reader product from competition
- Thrives under deadline pressure
- Working knowledge of digital platforms and social media, including best practices
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field
- 5+ years relevant experience
- Editorial management experience, a plus
- Strong talent development skills
- Experience working with other senior management leaders to constantly consider new and better ways to tell a story
Email a confidential cover letter, links to at least 3 examples of your work and resume with “Executive Editor, Chicago Reader” in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
This is an exempt (non-union) position. Sun-Times Media Productions, LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.