JOB OPENING: Multimedia Journalist
CLOSED: We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago news organization, with a laser focus on impactful investigations, sports, politics, and reporting stories that matter to the working men and women of Chicago. We’re hiring scrappy digital professionals to help our team of experienced journalists at the Chicago Sun-Times and the Reader share content in the digital space in unique and bold ways – with a special emphasis on Chicago’s vibrant cultural scene. Using new, multi-platform production and delivery capabilities, this person will help us meet our news consumers where they are and provide our advertising partners with real value.
- Report, write, shoot, edit and publish digital-only content following the best practices of SEO, storytelling and audience engagement
- Generate stories and create multimedia content to enhance our entertainment coverage (i.e. video, photos, graphics, art, text images, live streams, slideshows, social media embeds)
- Assist newsroom to enhance online content of major news of the day
- Field producing w/ other reporters, as needed
- Solid editorial judgment and ethics
- Strong writing and video skills
- Ability to tell stories in multimedia formats
- Capacity to keep cool under deadline pressure
- Working knowledge of all social media and digital platforms, including best practices
- Ability to learn quickly, collaborate in a fast-paced environment and excel with minimal direction
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field
- Working knowledge of WordPress, Avid, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro and/or Sprout Social, a plus
- On-camera experience, a plus
- Active social media profiles
- Post-college portfolio of work
- Highly self-motivated with a passion to win
This is a non-exempt (union) position. Sun-Times Media Productions, LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.
Send a confidential cover letter, links to at least 3 examples of work and resume with “Multimedia Journalist” in the subject line to: email@example.com