JOB OPENING: Payroll Manager
Closed: We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago news organization, with a laser focus on impactful investigations, sports, politics, and reporting stories that matter to the working men and women of Chicago. We’re hiring a Payroll Manager to lead all payroll-related activities for the Sun-Times Media Group and its subsidiaries.
The Payroll Manager will be responsible for overseeing and maintaining records for the collection, calculation and data entry for all staff. The manager will review, approve, and update any changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and job titles.
- Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures
- Updates payroll records by reviewing and approving changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and job titles, and department / division transfers
- Pays employees by directing the production and issuance of paychecks or electronic transfers to bank accounts
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages
- Determines payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments
- Balances the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Manages payroll staff by recruiting, selecting, and training employees
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- At least 5 years of applicable business experience including 2 years in a financial leadership role
- Experience in print or electronic media and similar industries
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Finance Operations, Planning and Systems
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated leadership abilities including hiring, training and mentoring staff
- Experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance-related issues
This is an exempt (non-union) position. Sun-Times Media Production, LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.