JOB OPENING: Program Host
NOTE: We are not currently accepting new applications for this opening.
The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago news organization, with a laser focus on impactful investigations, sports, politics, and reporting stories that matter to the working men and women of Chicago. We’re hiring an experienced on-camera storyteller who will have a lead role in producing new content. Using new, multi-platform production and delivery capabilities, this person will help us meet our news consumers where they are and provide our advertising partners with real value.
This is a unique opportunity for a candidate with an engaging on-air presence and a curiosity about all things Chicago — especially its vibrant food, entertainment and cultural scene.
- Contribute to Sun-Times Media digital content products by pitching, researching, reporting and hosting compelling content across multiple platforms
- Write and host both news and feature content, so the ideal candidate will bring experience and skills doing both
- Coordinate with print and digital staff to provide pictures, audio, video and text updates to various platforms, including mobile
- Maintain an active social media presence to build the Sun-Times brand and to solicit story ideas
- Excellent editorial judgment and rock solid journalistic ethics
- Energetic communicator both on and off camera
- Creative multi-media storytelling ability
- Capacity to work collaboratively and under deadline pressure on fast-paced productions
- Conversational writing and ability to ad lib while conducting interviews and demonstrations
- Ability to meet daily and long-term goals relating to the Sun-Times media strategy
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, media or communications
- Demonstrated ability to tell interesting, compelling, thought-provoking stories
- 3-5 years of on-camera experience, preferred
- Knowledge of the Chicago area, preferred
- Strong social media presence
- Knowledge of WordPress, a plus
- A willingness to work varied hours on an on-demand basis, as required by production schedule
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed with a passion to win
All candidates must submit at least three work samples. Please send these clips or links to your work along with a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “PROGRAM HOST” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
This is an exempt (non-union) part-time position. Sun-Times Media Productions, LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.