JOB OPENING: Senior Assignment Editor
CLOSED: We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago news organization, with a focus on impactful investigations, sports, politics and reporting stories that matter to the working men and women of Chicago. We’re hiring an editorial planning manager to set priorities for the day. This manager will coordinate the newsroom’s new multimedia resources to bring digital-forward stories to life online. Planning ahead and identifying stories in step with our mission and suited to generating digital traffic are key to this role.
- Be the newsroom’s top leader in the morning, working alongside the audience team, reporters and editors
- Run the breaking news desk and directly supervise our team of journalists covering crime, courts
- Identify stories to cover and spot trending topics for digital producers to develop
- Oversee morning editorial meeting by leading discussion of how to best use multimedia resources and staffing in coverage
- Create and maintain online newsroom rundown of current and future story assignments
- Develop workflow to collect and follow up on story ideas – both internal and external
- Strategize with print editors and audience team on video and social media strategies for stories
- Work with other editors to develop longer-term and investigative projects
- Monitor the competition to ensure our reporting stays a step ahead
- Plan big event coverage
- Other duties, as assigned
- Solid editorial judgment and ethics
- Highly organized, with track record of developing systems that bring order to chaos
- Ability to see around the corner and spot stories ideal for our digital audience
- Demonstrated track record of using innovative approaches to build audience
- Knows how to enterprise stories to differentiate the Sun-Times product from competition
- Thrives in breaking news situations
- Working knowledge of digital platforms and social media, including best practices
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as an editor or reporter
- Management experience highly preferred
- Highly self-motivated with a passion to win
- Knowledge of WordPress, a plus
Interested? Email your cover letter, resume and links to 3 examples of your work to email@example.com with Senior Assignment Editor in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
This is a non-union (exempt) position. Sun-Times Media Productions LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.