JOB OPENING: Senior WordPress Developer
The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago news organization, with a laser focus on impactful investigations, sports, politics, and reporting stories that matter to the working men and women of Chicago. We are seeking experienced WordPress Developers to continually improve our digital presentation, functionality, and usability. These individuals will have a very strong understanding of WordPress architecture, can build custom themes from scratch and connect third-party systems with APIs.
The ideal candidate will be a strong analytical thinker who is results oriented, self starting, willing to ask questions, and passionate about their work and the role it plays to support journalism. We’re looking for candidates with a natural curiosity to stay aware of the latest WordPress capabilities and desire to expand their skills.
- Continually working to improve our digital presentation, functionality and usability
- Write clean, well-designed, and easily maintainable code
- Troubleshoot, test and maintain the core product software to ensure strong optimization and functionality
- Contribute in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders on creating and adhering to timelines for product milestones and releases
Skills and requirements
- Strong HTML, CSS, PHP, and jQuery skills
- Experience with WordPress VIP service, deployment and development
- Can connect third party systems to WordPress and vice versa with APIs
- Experience with source control; we use Git and SVN, and our workflow uses GitHub and Slack
- Familiar with implementing Google Analytics, DFP, and other ad serving technologies
- Enjoys open source software
- Passion for best design and coding practices and a desire to develop new bold ideas
This is an exempt (non-union) position. Sun-Times Media Production, LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.
Send a confidential cover letter, links to at least 3 examples of work and resume with “Senior WordPress Developer” in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org