JOB OPENING: Transportation Reporter
The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago news organization, with a laser focus on impactful investigations, sports, politics, and reporting stories that matter to the working people of Chicago.
Chicago is a global transportation hub with millions of people and products passing through our city each day. This complex transit environment includes one of the world’s largest airports; the 2nd largest public transit system in the country; a network of railroads that moves over 490 tons of goods over 4,000 miles of track; waterways that are the gateways to the Great Lakes and Mississippi River, and a vast roadway system. The Chicago Sun-Times is creating an exciting opportunity to develop sources and report exclusive stories on this important beat.
• Pitch, research and report compelling, original content centered around the dynamic transportation beat in Chicago and the region
• Juggle coverage of daily events, breaking news and investigative stories
• Coordinate with print and digital staffs to provide pictures, video and text updates to various platforms, including mobile
• Maintain an active social media presence to build the Sun-Times brand and drive website traffic
• Work with the Sun-Times audience engagement team to develop video, infographics and other interactive elements that engage both digital and print readers
• Other duties, including general-assignment reporting, as needed
• Strong interviewing and writing skills
• Excellent editorial judgment and rock-solid journalistic ethics
• Proven ability to find and report compelling news stories using data-focused materials
• Creative multimedia storytelling ability that helps bring complex issues to life
• Ability to work collaboratively under pressure in fast-paced newsroom to meet deadlines
• Ability to cut through the many technicalities of transportation reporting and give readers a clear picture of what’s going on
• 3-5 years of news reporting experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or related field
• Demonstrated research, reporting and writing skills including ability to generate story ideas
• Strong social media presence, preferred
• Willingness to work varied hours, if required by news coverage
• Highly self-motivated and self-directed
All candidates must submit three samples of work to provide evidence of the ability to excel in this position. Please send these clips or links to your work along with a resume and cover letter w/“Reporter” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org (No phone calls, please.)
This is a non-exempt (union) position. Sun-Times Media Productions LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.