19 shot — 2 killed — Sunday in city shootings
Subscribe for unlimited digital access.
Try one month for $1!
Subscribe for unlimited digital access. Try one month for $1!
Two people were killed and 17 others were wounded in city gun violence by the end of Sunday.
Within the 24-hour period, shootings across Chicago’s South and West sides wounded three women, ages 18, 19 and 36. The 18-year-old woman was wounded in a Bronzeville shooting that killed a man.
About 11:40 p.m., the woman and 26-year-old Gregory Smith were standing outside in the 4400 block of South Prairie when someone in a passing vehicle shot at them, according to Chicago Police. Smith was struck in his chest and taken to University of Chicago Medical Center, where he died. He lived in the same block as the shooting.
The woman was shot in her leg and buttocks, and was stabilized at the same hospital, according to police. Area Central detectives were conducting a homicide investigation.
The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office hasn’t released details about the fatality.
Sunday’s second fatal shooting happened in the West Pullman neighborhood on the Far South Side. Two men were shot about 6 p.m. in the 11900 block of South Michigan Avenue, according to police. Terrance Day, 21, was shot in his chest and was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he died, police and the medical examiner’s office said. He lived in West Pullman. A 26-year-old was shot in his thigh and was taken to the same hospital, where his condition stabilized.
Sunday’s last nonfatal shooting wounded a 32-year-old man in the Altgeld Gardens neighborhood on the Far South Side. About 11:10 p.m., the man was walking in the 13000 block of South Drexel when he was suddenly shot in his shoulder, police said. He was unsure of where the shots came from. His condition stabilized at Christ Medical Center. Earlier Sunday, a delivery driver was shot less than a block away.
About 9:20 p.m., two people were shot in the West Side Austin neighborhood. A man and woman were walking when a male they did not know fired shots from across the street, striking them both in the 700 block of North Central Park Avenue, according to police. The 36-year-old woman was shot in the lower back and foot. She was taken to Stroger Hospital, where she was in serious condition. The man, 26, was shot in the hand and was in good condition at Mount Sinai Hospital.
In other shootings Sunday:
- about 7:50 p.m., a man was shot while driving in the Heart of Chicago neighborhood on the South Side, police said.
- A man was shot in his arms and legs about 5:20 p.m. in the Austin neighborhood.
- About 4:45 p.m., a 48-year-old man was shot in a front yard in the Gresham neighborhood on the South Side.
- About 3:30 p.m., an 18-year-old man was shot near an alley in the Marquette Park neighborhood on the Southwest Side.
- About 2:25 p.m., a 24-year-old man was shot by someone driving by in the West Side Austin neighborhood.
- A 26-year-old man was wounded in a drive-by attack about 11:30 a.m. in the West Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side.
- About 2 a.m., a 22-year-old was shot while he was a passenger in a vehicle in the Kenwood neighborhood on the South Side.
- About 2 a.m., a 23-year-old man was grazed in the back in the South Side Gresham neighborhood.
- Two men, ages 20 and 21, were wounded in a shooting about 1:40 a.m. in the West Englewood neighborhood.
- Sunday’s first shooting wounded a 19-year-old woman about 12:30 a.m. in the Calumet Heights neighborhood on the South Side. The woman was walking up the stairs of someone’s house when she suddenly heard gunfire and felt that she had been hit in her shoulder, police said.