Our Pledge To You


3 killed, 5 wounded in Friday shootings

Sun-Times file photo

At least eight people were shot, three of them fatally, in Chicago on Friday.

The last reported murder happened during a double shooting at 8:20 p.m. in the West Garfield Park neighborhood. A black car pulled up to two men in the 100 block of South Kildare Avenue and someone inside fired shots, according to Chicago police.

Calvin Lewis, 35, was shot in the chest and neck and later died at Mt. Sinai Hospital, police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said. The other man, also 35, was struck in the groin and hip and taken to the same hospital, police said.

Another man was shot to death about 8 p.m. in the West Side Austin neighborhood, police said. Malik Tyshun Williams, 19, was walking in an alley in the 5000 block of West Concord Place when he was approached by someone who opened fire, authorities said. Williams was shot in the face and pronounced dead at the scene.

The first murder happened just after 3 p.m. during a Bronzeville neighborhood home invasion.

Larell Dobbs, 28, went to answer a knock at the door about 3 p.m. in the 4600 block of South Drexel Boulevard when his door was kicked in by two people with guns, authorities said. Dobbs was shot in the chest and later died at the University of Chicago Medical Center, authorities said. His death was ruled a homicide.

Officers recovered two weapons at the scene, according to police, who said no one was in custody.

In the morning, a man was shot in the Park Manor neighborhood on the South Side. About 11:24 a.m., a group of males approached the 19-year-old in the 7100 block of South Wabash and someone fired bullets into his back and left arm, police said.

On the Northwest Side, a man was shot and wounded at night in the Portage Park neighborhood. The 21-year-old was sitting in a parked vehicle about 10:10 p.m. in the 5800 block of West Berteau when someone in a black car fired shots, striking him in the arm, police said.

Another shooting happened about 10:30 p.m. in the South Side Gresham neighborhood. A 32-year-old man was arguing with another person about 10:30 p.m. in the 8700 block of South May Street when the person fired shots, police said. He was shot in the leg and taken to Christ Medical Center. The shooter left the scene in a Nissan Altima.

Friday’s last bout of gun violence caused a baby boy to be hospitalized after someone shot the driver of a vehicle he was riding inside in the Fuller Park neighborhood on the South Side.

At 11:19 p.m., a 28-year-old man was driving west in the 200 block of West 43rd Place when a bullet struck his back, police said. He crashed into a parked vehicle, causing a 1-year-old boy in the back of his vehicle to suffer abrasions to his face, police said. The 1-year-old was taken to Comer’s Children’s Hospital, and the 28-year-old was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center.

On Thursday, four people were wounded in citywide shootings.

Homicides in 2018 Database