GLENDALE, Ariz. – Ozzie Guillen wanted to make a correction.
The White Sox manager was adamant in pointing out that in letting Joe Crede walk into free agency after the 2008 season, and now into the open arms of their rivals from the Twin Cities, it wasn’t done because the South Siders were going younger.
“We no go younger at third base,” Guillen insisted Sunday. “We offer Joe Crede a three-year deal, a four-year deal, a couple of years ago. This would be the second or third year in his contract if he signed with us. We didn’t go younger, we went good.
“I think when you are younger, then we have [catcher Tyler] Flowers catching, [Paul] Konerko DH-ing, the Cuban kid [Dayan Viciedo] playing third base. We no going young. We are putting the team there that’s best for the ballclub.”
Guillen was referring to the club offering Crede a contract extension in July of 2007, after he had major back surgery. An offer that Crede said never really happened, and was debated about last spring.
Either way, Guillen wished Crede good luck, except when he plays his former team.
“If Joe Crede was healthy last year for us, that makes a lot of difference,” Guillen said. “I love that man. I love him.
“It’s too bad he couldn’t play for us the last couple of years.”