Ok, now stop whimpering. You’re a Chicagoan, not a D.C. resident! A little snow isn’t going to stop your life…but you will have to adapt (that stickball game you were planning might have to wait ’til the plows come take care of your street). In case you weren’t quite ready for this blizzard, we’re compiling a handy list of all the things you can do in the Chicago area when it’s snowing. Have ideas to add? Let us know in the comments.
- Sledding. Time Out Chicago’s got a great guide to area hills. Just be careful – a co-worker here took a spill last week and broke a bone!
- Skiing. Yes, contrary to popular opinion, there are places to ski in the midwest. Centerstage runs down all the options for bunnies and experts alike. (Cross-country, too.)
- Museums. Make the most of your indoor time with an educational visit. The Local Tourist has compiled a list of all free museum days in 2010.
- Workouts. Don’t feed us that line about needing an extra layer of fat. These fitness options at local gyms will keep you on track instead of in hibernation. Check out these winter sports leagues, too.
- Drinking and Eating. This is what you were waiting for, right? Nothing like sitting by the fire with some booze and comfort food. Here are some great places to do just that. (And since you won’t be flying anywhere anytime soon, some where you can pretend you’re on vacation on a tropical island).
- Reading. The Chicago Reader’s annual fiction issue is online for your pleasure. For more inspiration, check out Jonathan Messinger’s Books of 2009, or locally based sites like Bookslut and PopMatters.
- Sex. Heat things up in the bedroom with advice from our favorite sex columnist, Anna Pulley (aka Centerstage’s former Carnal Consultant)
- Loafing. If you just want to sit and watch TV, that’s fine, too. Visit The TV Paige for ideas…and buy tickets now for the B-Fest a full 24 hours of bad movies in Evanston. Of course, that’s in a few weeks — hopefully, this storm will be over before then.
What else you got, Chicago?