Loss of Bryan Bickell is a big one

SHARE Loss of Bryan Bickell is a big one

VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Replacing Bryan Bickell may not be as daunting as playing without center Dave Bolland or defenseman Brent Seabrook, but the winger is a big loss for the Blackhawks.

Bickell underwent wrist surgery Monday to repaired a severed tendon suffered in Game 2 and missed Game 7 Tuesday against the Vancouver Canucks at Rogers Arena. He had become a solid contributor on Bolland’s checking line, which had the tough task of taking on Henrik and Daniel Sedin.

The surgery was scheduled and the Hawks were expecting to be without him at some point.

“We weren’t sure what was going to happen with him, [but] we knew it was kind of a day-to-day thing,” Hawks captain Jonathan Toews said. “But that’s the reality. We’re missing a key player. He was playing great on that line with [Bolland], checking their top players.”

Bickell suffered a lacerated tendon during Game 2 when he was cut by a skate. But there was window that allowed him to play before his scheduled surgery on Monday, when a team doctor could “complete the procedure appropriately.”

He sat out Game 3, but made a big impact in the next three games with two goals, an assist and a crushing shoulder-to-head hit on Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa.

“It’s a big loss obviously,” Seabrook said.

With Bickell out, Troy Brouwer looks like the top candidate to move up from the fourth line. Marcus Kruger and Fernando Pisani are expected to fill out the fourth line in Game 7.

The Latest
The two robbers got away with about $10,000 cash just before closing time Sunday at 933 N. State St., police said.
The self-proclaimed ‘queen of Christmas’ brings angelic pipes and some diva attitude to stadium stuffed with dolled-up revelers
El viernes por la noche, el Ayuntamiento publicó el reporte que encontró que en la propiedad había varios metales pesados y productos químicos tóxicos.
After plowing into the building at 737 N. Michigan Ave., the would-be thieves jumped into three other vehicles and sped away without taking any merchandise, police said.
The case — filed by several regular protesters at the Southwest Side — was dismissed because construction was already paused by the state.