Halftime update: BYU ends Notre Dame’s streak, takes 14-7 lead

SHARE Halftime update: BYU ends Notre Dame’s streak, takes 14-7 lead

Notre Dame’s remarkable defensive streak ended at 17 quarters without allowing a touchdown.

Its next streak lasted 2 minutes, 18 seconds.

BYU took a 14-7 lead into halftime by scoring two second-quarter touchdowns — the first touchdowns yielded by the Notre Dame defense since the fourth quarter of the Purdue game on Sept. 8. First, the Cougars rode Jamaal Williams into the Notre Dame red zone, then took advantage of a late hit by Matthias Farley to set up a 6-yard touchdown pass from Riley Nelson to Cody Hoffman, who was all alone in the back of the end zone.

Three plays later, Tommy Rees’ pass hit DaVaris Daniels right square in the hands, and the tipped ball was intercepted by linebacker Kyle Van Noy at the Notre Dame 30. BYU quickly moved downfield, scoring on a 2-yard pass from Nelson to Kaneakua Friel.

Notre Dame kicker Kyle Brindza missed his second field goal attempt of the game, a 28-yarder with 2:30 left after a strong drive quarterbacked by both Rees and Andrew Hendrix.

Before the touchdowns, Notre Dame had made 11 straight red-zone stops.

The Latest
The new historic marker stands outside the Old State Capitol, where then Sen. Barack Obama launched his presidential bid on a brutally cold February day in 2007 —but unlike Obama, Pritzker and the others who unveiled the marker on Wednesday made their remarks indoors.
The funding will significantly boost the operations of Life After Justice, a Chicago group founded by two exonerees that seeks to overturn unjust convictions and support exonerees after they’re released from prison.
Violinist Itzhak Perlman at Symphony Center, holiday fun at Skydeck Chicago, and the Pentatonix Christmas Spectacular are among the entertainment highlights in the week ahead.
A preliminary investigation indicates the incident was domestic in nature, though police have not released any information about the circumstances.
Plus, a look at rookie Velus Jones and why the Bears moved practice indoors Wednesday.