Opponent on Sandi Jackson’s fundraiser: ‘she’s running for higher office.’

SHARE Opponent on Sandi Jackson’s fundraiser: ‘she’s running for higher office.’

The Jacksons have been shy about public appearances lately, ever since U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. was hospitalized for depression.

Tomorrow night though, 7th Ward Ald. Sandi Jackson — whose primary residence is in Washington D.C. — is planning a Chicago fund-raiser, asking for up to $5,000 per person.

One of her husband’s political opponents says it is a sign she’s interested in higher office.

“She’s preparing to run for a higher office called Congressman, it’s obvious. That’s obvious,” said Marcus Lewis, an independent running against Jesse Jackson Jr. “She knows her husband is never coming back. She’s asking $5,000 … donations. She’s not doing that to be elected alderman.”

Jackson Jr. is facing opposition from three candidates, who have raised questions about his three-month absence from congress. They have accused Jackson Jr. of holding onto a seat he doesn’t intend to stay in and instead plans to give to his wife.

Sandi Jackson’s campaign did not comment.

Jackson’s spokesperson on Sunday told the Chicago Sun-Times that the congressman will remain on the ballot and the other speculation is just that, speculation.

Lewis, of Matteson, said he doesn’t hold fund-raisers. Lewis said he wants to go to congress to bring new economic opportunities in the 2nd congressional district. That includes bringing more grants to students and setting up job training for students at major Chicago companies.

“I’ll be the poorest person in Washington,” Lewis said. “I make $52,000 a year. I’m not going to Washington to get rich.”

The Latest
We cannot continue to succeed if one of our most important transportation corridors continues to fail.
Just last week, a group of historians warned President Joe Biden that today’s threats to democracy are similar to the pre-Civil War era and the homegrown sympathy for fascism before World War II.
They were standing on the sidewalk about 9 p.m. in the 3300 block of West Harrison Street when someone inside a black car fired shots.
Much of the Illinois Department of Transportation’s funding for this program is coming from the state’s $45 billion Rebuild Illinois Capital Plan but almost $16 billion more is expected to come in from the federal government.