Two CNN producers were accused of trying to breach security at the World Trade Center site and were arrested on Tuesday, a day after four men were arrested over a parachute jump off a trade center tower and a week after a teenage boy was accused of an unauthorized climb.
Yon Pomrenze and Connor Fieldman Boals tried to enter a gate leading into the lower Manhattan site on Tuesday afternoon but were stopped by an officer, said Joe Pentangelo, a spokesman for police at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site.
Boals then twice tried to climb a fence near the World Trade Center PATH subway station, Pentangelo said. The men then tried to push their way through a gate and were arrested on criminal trespass and other charges, he said.
A spokeswoman for CNN said the men were in the area to do a story about the recent security breaches and were not asked to sneak onto the site.
Four men — three daredevils and someone accused of being an accomplice — were arrested Monday in connection with the Sept. 30 jumping from 1 World Trade Center, the nation’s tallest building. They were arraigned on charges including felony burglary.
Last week, a 16-year-old boy from Weehawken, N.J., was accused of unlawfully entering the site, eluding an inattentive security guard and spending about two hours atop the 1,776-foot-tall tower. The skyscraper, still under construction, crowns the rebuilt World Trade Center, a project steeped in security concerns.