About 7 tons of hummus and dips sold at Target and Trader Joe’s is subject to recall according to a release from the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday. The recall for Archer Farms dips and hummus is voluntary for a “risk” of listeria, though no illnesses have been reported.
Prepared Foods manufacturer, Lansal, Inc.( d.b.a Hot Mama’s Foods), announced today that as a precaution it is voluntarily recalling approximately 14,860 pounds of hummus and dip products due to concerns about possible Listeria monocytogenes, an organism, which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
Some of the affected products:
- Target Archer Farms Traditional Hummus 10 oz. — UPC 85239233405 (Use by date of June 11, 2014)
- Target Archer Farms Traditional Hummus 2lb. (Non-retail item; Ingredient item used in SuperTarget store production of 2 items, Archer Farms Mediterranean Veggie Hummus Wrap and Archer Farms Mediterranean Veggie Hummus Wrap and Archer Farms Hummus Veggie Snacker) – UPC 896863001823 (Use by date of June 11, 2014)
- Target Archer Farms Roasted Garlic with Roasted Garlic Tapenade 17 oz — UPC 85239233498 (Use by June 9, 2014; June 12, 2014)
- Trader Joe’s Edamame Hummus 8oz. — UPC 988582 (Use by April 28, 2014; April 28, 2014; April 29, 2014; May 9, 2014)
- Trader Joe’s 5 Layered Dip Small 11.5oz. — UPC 435451 (Use by April 15, 2014)
- Trader Joe’s 5 Layered Dip Large 24oz. — UPC 274043 (Use by April 15, 2014)
A complete list of the announced recalls, brands and affected states can be found here.