clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Suit: Woman and children injured in police chase, fatal crash

A woman filed a negligence lawsuit against the city and several Chicago Police officers Wednesday after an April police chase on the Far South Side ended in a fatal crash, injuring her her two daughters.

Kelly Winston claims she and her two daughters, ages 11 and 14 at the time, were injured April 10 when Glenn Jones led police on a chase and subsequently crashed his vehicle into her car about 7 p.m. near State and 123rd streets, according to the federal lawsuit filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court.

Jones, 27, was driving southbound in the 12100 block of South State Street when police noticed his car was missing its front license plate, authorities said at the time.

When officers tried to pull him over, he slowed down for a moment then sped off at more than 20 mph over the speed limit, according to previous Chicago Sun-Times reports. Jones then allegedly blew through a stop sign and red light, then struck Winston’s car before slamming into a tree.

The collision killed both Jones and Dalila Smith, 23, of Skokie, a passenger in Jones’ car, authorities said.

Jones, of the 200 block of East 121st Place, was initially charged with felony counts of reckless homicide and aggravated fleeing to elude a police officer and aggravated fleeing with bodily injury and ordered held without bond.

On April 15, Jones — who is listed as a defendant in the lawsuit — was pronounced dead at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn at 1:34 p.m., the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said.

The two Chicago Police officers pursuing Jones “were causing a risk of harm to pedestrians and vehicles in the area of the chase,” according to Winston’s lawsuit. The officers are also listed as defendants in the suit.

In the crash, Winston broke ribs, a shoulder blade, her left arm, both of her hips, a leg, a foot and an ankle, the suit claims. She alleges she has been unable to work since the crash.

Both of Winston’s daughters suffered injuries to their arms and the 11-year-old girl broke two fingers, according to the suit.

The suit claims the officers “intentionally disregarded the safety of pedestrians and vehicles because they were angry Jones ignored their signals to pull over.”

The nine-count lawsuit claims negligence, state-created danger and deliberate indifference, among other things. It also seeks to hold the city responsible.

A representative from the city could not be immediately reached for comment Thursday evening.

Winston is seeking at least $250,000 in damages.