Power scooter sparks Skokie fire, displacing five

SHARE Power scooter sparks Skokie fire, displacing five
SHARE Power scooter sparks Skokie fire, displacing five

An electric power scooter malfunctioned Wednesday and caused a fire that left five people displaced in north suburban Skokie.

Firefighters responded about 11 a.m. to the home in the 8100 block of Lincoln Avenue and found smoke and flames coming from the front of the house, according to a statement from the village of Skokie.

Everyone inside had already exited safely, the statement said.

The fire left the home uninhabitable, and village officials are helping the five people who lived there find a place to stay, the statement said. Animal control officials are also taking care of one resident’s cat, which was found inside the structure.

Authorities believe the fire started by accident when an electric power scooter malfunctioned while on the building’s front porch.

Skokie police and fire officials continue to investigate.

The Latest
Hosts Lynn Sweet and Laura Washington were joined by New York Times reporters and best-selling authors Jonathan Martin and Alexander Burns, Sun-Times political reporter Tina Sfondeles and WBEZ politics reporter Dave McKinney on May 19, 2022.
A prosecutor said Vasilios Prassas was victimized by Vincent “Uncle Mick” DelGiudice, who took advantage of Prassas’ gambling problems and repeatedly forgave debts that “would have caused him to crash and burn.”
Chicago police were called to the CTA station in the 400 block of South Clinton Street around 10:50 p.m. Monday.
The women were left vulnerable inside a building that was like a “brick oven,” an attorney representing the family of one of the women said Tuesday.