Workers overcome by sulfuric acid fumes at Mundelein dog treat plant

SHARE Workers overcome by sulfuric acid fumes at Mundelein dog treat plant

Six employees of a north suburban pet company were hospitalized after being overcome by fumes caused by sulfuric acid on Saturday.

Firefighters responding to a 911 call of two people having trouble breathing arrived at 11:14 a.m. July 11 at the Pet Factory at 845 E. High St., according to a statement from the Mundelein Fire Dept.

Occupants were evacuating the building as firefighters arrived, and in addition to the two who originally reported trouble breathing, paramedics checked out seven other employees.

Four of those were taken to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, and two were taken to Lake Forest Hospital. Three others were treated at the scene, according to the fire department.

The fumes that overcame the workers were caused by 2-5 gallons of sulfuric acid being poured into a clogged drain in a manufacturing area of the plant, the statement said.

The acid created a gas, which stayed in the vicinity of the drain, though the entire building was later ventilated, according to the department.

Firefighters and paramedics from nine other departments assisted.

Pet Factory manufactures rawhide chews, bones and other treats for dogs.

The Latest
The crash of two semis caused a small fire. The road is expected to be closed for two to three hours, police said.
The boy was taken to a nearby hospital in serious condition after being grazed in the head, police said.
Another man was wounded Monday in North Lawndale.
Chicago City Council members can select who they want on committees and who should lead them. State law and the city’s own rules clearly spell out they have that power. They just have always opted out and have given the mayor their blessing to do their bidding.
Zack Park, 34, was charged with first-degree murder in the death of 18-year-old John Park on the Northwest Side.