Police are warning about several South Side burglaries, in which thieves have knocked a hole in the wall of a neighboring store to break into a business.
At least five such burglaries have happened in the Avalon Park and South Shore neighborhoods since March, according to a statement from South Shore District police.
In each case, the burglars got into the targeted business by creating a hole in the wall of a neighboring retail establishment, the alert said. The burglaries happened:
- About 7 p.m. March 14 in the 8100 block of South Stony Island;
- Between 11 p.m. March 14 and 11 a.m. March 16 in the 8100 block of South Stony Island;
- About 1:30 a.m. July 22 in the 1600 block of East 87th Street;
- About 8 p.m. Aug. 7 in the 2400 block of East 75th Street; and
- About 5 a.m. Aug. 18 in the 1300 block of East 87th Street.
Business owners should make sure all video equipment and surveillance cameras are on and working, police said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Area South detectives at (312) 747-8273.