Aurora firefighters rescue golden retriever from frozen pond

SHARE Aurora firefighters rescue golden retriever from frozen pond
auroradog_999x749.jpeg

Houdini warms up after being rescued from a frozen pond Tuesday night. | Aurora fire department

Aurora firefighters rescued a dog that had fallen into a frozen pond Tuesday night after a 911 call from its frantic owner.

Andrew Kapur called 911 just before 9 p.m. when he realized that his 5-year-old golden retriever Houdini had fallen into the pond behind his house in the 100 block of Raven Drive, according to a statement from the Aurora Fire Department.

Kapur believed the dog must have been chasing something, run out onto the partially frozen pond, and fallen into the area open water where the pond’s aerator kept it from freezing, according to the fire department. The dog was unable to pull itself back onto the ice and was struggling in the water.

Houdini may have been in the water 30-45 minutes before Kapur realized he was in trouble.

Two firefighters donned cold water immersion suits and used an ice rescue sled to make their way out to the struggling dog, pulling him safely from the water at 9:13 p.m.

Houdini took a while to warm up, but did not require medical treatment, his owner said in the statement.

pond_450x600.jpg

Aurora firefighters rescued a golden retriever from a patch of open water in a pond Tuesday night. | Aurora Fire Dept.


The Latest
Pet owners beware; the flea population in the Chicago area will be higher this summer, according to the Companion Animal Parasite Council.
The Cubs radio analyst, a Southwest Side son, spent a day reliving his past — and the emotions came flooding back.
Early lines for October matchup in South Bend reveal professional bettors’ thought process.
Local 150 of the International Union of Operating Engineers has been off the job since June 7 and no talks are scheduled.
At least nine people died nationwide and an estimated 11,500 were injured last year in accidents involving fireworks, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.